Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Christmas Gift

During the Christmas break our house was full again. (Well, maybe full is not a good term to use. I would never want to give the impression that others were not welcome because we could not fit anymore into our home.) Christopher was home from college for nearly 3 weeks, Christina and Ethan were here, and the girls were home from school. It is wonderful to not have a schedule and to just sit and visit. Michael remarked how great it was to have everyone here. That is when the idea came for the Christmas gift. I told him I am sure his parents felt the same way every time he came into town to visit.

He knew we'd found the perfect gift. Very quickly, he got on the internet and made plans for he and I to fly there for a surprise visit. On Christmas he called them and told them their gift would be late, that it would arrive sometime in January. On Friday the 13th, we knocked at their door. The gift had arrived.

I have to admit, the gift felt a bit selfish. Afterall, Michael and I not only had a mini-vacation, but the added blessing of seeing his parents/family, and mine as well. (I like to think of it as the gift that keeps on giving.) To me, there is no greater joy than sharing our lives and spending time with family and others.

I've mentioned the "Memory Jar" in my "Surprises" post. We saw it in person. It it a beautiful Tea Jar that sits on their coffee table. (The Tea Jar is from the memory everyone has of my Father-in-law making sun tea nearly every day in the hot Arizona summers. It usually sat on the diving board by the pool, which had to be moved when the kids wanted to swim. Dad made sure we never ran out of ice cold, refreshing tea. Before the jar in the 'fridge was empty, there'd be another one brewing in the hot sun.) The Memory Jar is stuffed with folded pieces of paper, filled with a lifetime of memories. I realized when we were there, that Mom and Dad are hoping the jar never runs empty. It shouldn't. As time goes on, when memories come to mind or new ones are made, we will compose them on little folded pieces of paper. Just as dad never let the tea run out, we will not let the memories run out.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Michael with his mom and dad

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is my newest little niece. She is 6 weeks old.

2 comments:

Heth said...

Oh what a sweet, sweet gift. I'm sure they were so suprised.

And a side note...I am LOVING your hair color. Fabulous!

Truth said...

Thanks! Michael loves red hair-the reason I tried it, lol. He is hoping I never go back to blonde. My mother hates it, but my dad says I look just like his mom did, who had red hair. (I never met her. She died before I was born.)