Monday, January 09, 2006

Simple Girl

For a long time, I've thought of myself as a simple girl. I've never been a flashy, glitzy person. When I married, 22 short years ago, I wed with a simple gold wedding band. Seemed very appropriate. Sometime when I was pregnant with my 5th child, it disappeared. I replaced it with something very inexpensive, just so I "looked" married again. (I suppose having 5 kids in tow was an indication that I was possibly married, lol.)

After our 15th anniversary, I asked Michael for a new wedding ring for my birthday. That was all I wanted. Together we picked out a beautiful anniversary band with 7 diamonds around it. I tried on a few "big" rings, but having always worn a band, I didn't think I could get used to what felt like a big, clunky ring.

I can't remember whose idea it was now, but a few years ago on Mother's Day, Michael and I picked out a Mother's ring. It had a birthstone for each of my children. (I decided it is nice having one in April-diamond, and July-ruby.) Those were my favorite stones, and after a short period I took the ring back and had the other stones replaced with diamonds. So a ruby for my son, and 4 diamonds for each of the girls. It took a bit getting used to a ring with stones protruding out the top. But it is precious to me and somehow I became accustomed to it.

Here we are, at 22 years and Michael wanted to upgrade my wedding ring again. (Who would have guessed?) Before Christmas we went together and picked out another anniversary band with bigger, more sparkling and more diamonds. Again I tried on several bulky rings but wasn't sure. So I went with the familiar: an easy-to-wear band. I think I was disappointed, though, when nobody noticed.

Back to the jewelry store we went. I found a ring for the same price as the band and exchanged them. Arriving home, my daughter noticed right away. Deep down, I think I was thrilled.





Have I been a simple girl out of necessity all these years? Is there really a flashy, glitzy "look-at-me" person trying to break forth? Honestly? I don't think so. But I am at a place in my life where I can enjoy impractical things. I can paint my nails and wear high-heeled boots. And every time I glimpse these sparkles from my hand, I think of the man who loves me and all we've been through. I catch myself caught up in the way this ring glistens. And I imagine this is the way life is supposed to be. As we get older, rather than being haggard and worn, our lives should glisten and gleam from the inside out revealing God's handiwork.

1 comment:

Heth said...

Oooh, the ring is beautiful!

Twenty two years of marriage is a rare and beautiful thing. I think you should show it off.