Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Thanksgiving Memories

It was my first attempt to make an entire Thanksgiving meal on my own, and my inlaws were coming to visit. I only had 2 children, but I worried how it would all come together. Preparing for houseguests was stressful enough, but compounded by a toddler that loved making messes coupled with Thanksgiving and all of the trimmings, I felt more than overwhelmed. I wanted so much to provide a comfortable, relaxed home for my inlaws, along with a delicious meal enjoyed in the company of well-behaved grandchildren.

They arrived the day before. I stayed up late that night, after everyone had gone to bed, baking pies. I must have been tired, as I didn't hear my children wake before me. How must that look to the grandparents? A mother who doesn't get up and have breakfast waiting for her children? I dressed quickly and went to the kitchen. There stood my little boy.

"Yum, yum! This is good Mommy."

He was covered in orange and was eating the middle of both pumpkin pies. This was before digital cameras, but I doubt I would have grabbed the camera. I started to cry.

Thankfully, I have the best inlaws in the world and should not have worried. In fact they probably cooked more of the dinner than I did. They were such a help and so encouraging. After that I never felt I needed to impress them. They'd had 5 kids and understood little boys enjoyed eating pumpkin pie. Somehow, when you are a grandparent you don't stress over those things. That is why when 18 years later I awoke to find Mr. Ethan eating the middles of the pumpkin pie, I grabbed my camera. I love being a grandparent!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story and great photos! Much too funny!

Anonymous said...

Love the photo!
And it's a great post too.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful memories! Funny that you have yet another generation of pie eaters! *Smile*

Anonymous said...

I love the middle of the pumpkin pie best too! With five kids of my own I am getting better of letting go. I think I will be a good Grandma. My two youngest are already getting a better me than the oldest three.

His Girl said...

now i am NEEDING some punkin' pie.


mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm