Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Pillow Presents

For as long as I can remember, I've shared a bedroom. It isn't always easy having someone in your space, but what incredible richness it has brought to my life. Life skills were learned, negotiation techniques mastered & sisterly bonds formed within the confines of shared sleeping quarters.

Sometime before I entered the 5th grade, Laurie and I began this adventure. My parents had purchased a 4 bedroom home. The 3 girls no longer were grouped together. My brother and older sister now had the privilege of residing in their own rooms. This left Laurie and I very unhappy with the new arrangement.

We had our ups and downs, but when we climbed into bed at night, we became comrades. We'd lie awake discussing how we could divide the room to give each of us our own separate space. We chattered about our day, commiserated about the struggles with certain friends, or expressed our secret fondness for a really cute boy. We'd tickle each others feet to see who would be the first to flinch. We laughed and laughed. We needed that physical contact but even more, we needed to connect. It didn't matter what we might have argued about earlier in the day. At bedtime, we became best friend sisters.

I don't recall exactly when it happened. It might have been Laurie's birthday. Maybe not. But one night, I left a note on her pillow. It said something like, "In order to find your very next clue, look around the room for something blue." I'd made a scavenger hunt of sorts for her. At the end of the hunt, she was directed back to her pillow. Underneath it, I had placed a small treasure.

That was the beginning of pillow presents. It wasn't every night, although in the summer it sometimes was. One or both of us would make, create, or find a treasure for the other. I was better at it than she was. I was supposed to be. I was older. I loved making scavenger hunts and they always had to rhyme. Laurie made up a few too, and it was ok that they didn't rhyme. Laurie's favorite pillow presents to give me were tamales. No, not red hot tamales candy. We're talking honest-to-goodness tamales. My mom (usually with our help) would make 12 dozen tamales around Christmas time each year. She'd cook them up a dozen at a time for dinner. If any were left over in the 'fridge I received a tamale under my pillow that night. I still can't eat tamales without thinking of them as pillow presents.

Last week, on Hilary's birthday, I saw her walking around searching. I wondered what she was doing. She was on a scavenger hunt Elisabeth and Sarabeth had created for her very late the night before. At the end were some small gifts they'd purchased. (You can see one of them in the wordless wednesday photo.) That was when the pillow present memories came flooding back to me. What richness comes to sisters who have shared a bedroom. Makes me feel sorry for only children and those who have small families and never had to learn to "live" with one another.

P.S. (My dad was/is an only, and he always told us to have more than one. I did my best to have a houseful.)

7 comments:

mommy to six J's said...

What a cute little part of your life thanks for sharing that. My boys have pillow chat and wrestling before bed. Char

Heth said...

Pillow Presents! I love it. What fun memories for you.

Anonymous said...

My little girls share a room. My oldest two did when very little but since one if female and one male, it didn't last forever. I think my youngest two have the best end of the deal. I did not have my own room until I was out on my own after college. That didn't last for long since I got married not long after.

Melany aka Supermom said...

That is SO precious!!! My boys still share a bedroom and I don't think they will want their own rooms anytime soon. There is enough rooms for all of them to have their own but the prefer sleeping together. I often find them sleeping in one bed or talking until what time of the night

Lisa said...

Alas, my Rosie is an only...

Thank you for sharing your tamales! :o)

Carolanne said...

I love the idea of the pillow presents! Although we only have one child, I'm thinking maybe I could do this for him sometime.
Thanks for sharing your sweet memory!

Melanie said...

For much of my childhood, my only sibling was my brother. We didn't share a room, but our rooms were upstairs across the hall from each other. At night before we fell asleep we used to talk. Fond and silly memories!

Before my 2nd DD was born, DD #1 was sad because she was the only on in our house who didn't have anyone sharing her room. (Her 2 brothers shared and so did DH and I.) She was overjoyed when her little sister was born.

It's funny listening to our boys and our girls talking together at night after they're all in bed. Sweet memories in the making!