Monday, September 03, 2007

Signs Your Teen Is Text Messaging Too Much

Hilary is social. She likes to talk. She talks in her sleep. Now that she has a cell phone and unlimited text messages, most of her chatting is done via her thumbs. (Okay, the whole family has unlimited text messaging. And yes, this the preferred method of calling my family to dinner.)

I should have known when her fancy little phone never left her fingers that she was probably text messaging too much. (Or when she dropped it in the toilet.)

The second clue should have been when I overheard this conversation:

"So how many text messages have you sent this month?"

"Oh, like maybe 500."

"Maybe? Just check."

"Ok, I have used 497. What about you?"

"3011."

Did she really say 3000? This month isn't over yet. She has over a week to break this record.

The other night we got into a discussion about embarrassing moments. We all agreed that sending a text message to the wrong person was the worst. Sarabeth had plenty of these faux pas-when she sent me a text message saying, "guess who El is having lunch with? Josh." She then promptly sent it to Elisabeth instead of me. Hilary couldn't recall having one of those moments.

The next morning she comes upstairs carrying her phone looking puzzled. "I had a very strange message on my phone when I woke up. All it said was, 'what?' I figured I must have sent someone the wrong message. So I checked."

Apparently, she received a text message after she'd fallen asleep. It stirred her enough that she picked up her phone and sent one back-without ever waking up! My daughter can now say she has officially text messaged in her sleep. I wouldn't recommend it. Although she did text two real words, the rest was in indiscernible dream language.

I think it may be time to cut back on text messaging. It's one thing to talk in your sleep, only your family hears, but when she starts talking text message for the world to hear...who knows what she might say? And really, who's going to believe the excuse that she didn't know what she was doing?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is funny. It sounds like something my son (the sleep-walker, sleep-talker, who also takes showers in his sleep!) would do.

Julie said...

Test messaging in her sleep??? I would guess that that might be indicator of what is filling her waking moments.... smile

Too bad that 'in your sleep' can't be profitably harnessed. My husband's niece coming home from work one night found that her mom had put all her freshly laundered clothes in her room but not put them away.
She considered putting the clothes away before she went to bed but was just too tired and fell into bed, instantly asleep.
The next morning when she awoke all her clothes were properly hung in the closet. No one had been in her room at night!!
(I would really like to figure out how to make 'me' do my housework while 'I' am asleep!! -- smile)

Heth said...

Seriously? 3011 texts? Wow.

I need to take texting lessons from her. It takes me 3 minutes to type 3 words on my phone. I'm a texting dork.

Anonymous said...

Can you say "turn in the phone before bed"? Wow, I thought my oldest was bad. She is the fastest text-er I have ever seen, but she has never had that many in one month, nor texted in her sleep (that I know of).

She used to text her husband (before they were married) often, but even she has thumb limits!!! ;)

Ann said...

Texting in her sleep!! That is amazing!!!