Monday, October 15, 2007

Autumn

Autumn
such a fickle season,
teasing with your constant changes.
Warm sunshine dances upon my skin
reminding me of past summer days.
Fierce winds blow rain, sleet, and (gasp) snow,
bite at my face.
A foreshawdow of winter.
Brilliant displays of red foliage,
oranges, & yellows alive like fire.
Too soon, all I see is barren nakedness
Crunching. Dry leaves crushed beneith my feet.
Days get predictably shorter,
darkness cuts into my afternoons.
Spicy hot cider, pumpkin bread,
Sweet hot cocoa, I drink in your delicious scents
Even the smoky wood smell from the crackling fire
intrigues my senses.
You flaunt your loveliness
Taunting me with your bounties,
But I've seen your other side
You are Fall.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I like the new blog colors. Very pretty!

Ann said...

Beautifully written!! Autumn is all about the senses, and you really captured it in your poem :)