Friday, October 19, 2007

Oh Louis...

Exactly one month ago, I posted this. I mentioned the calming affects of Louis Armstrong's "What A Wonderful World" on driving, especially in stressful situations. Last night's occasion was no different.

I was about to mash a pot of potatoes when my phone rang. A cheery voice sang out,

"Hi, Mom!"

"Hi, Hilary."

(Pause.) "I'm at practice right now." Yes, you are every day at this time.

"We were doing the worm, and I got kicked." Quit pausing, and get to the point. Why are you calling? This mom gets a bit impatient with unexpected phone calls.

"The trainer says she doesn't think my nose is broken, but I need stitches. Do you want me to wait until the end of practice?" What, does she think I can't be bothered right now?

I picked her up, even though her sister, who drives, was at the school. I couldn't remember which urgent care accepted our insurance, so opted for the ER. Hilary had a pretty good attitude. She told me the details while listening to Louis.



Emergency Room doctors and staff think humor is encouraging to their patients.


Doc: "When noses are that swollen, we don't bother ex-raying them to see if they are broken.
You'll know in a couple of weeks anyway. Just look in the mirror. If it is crooked, you can bet it is broken.


Nurse: "Your homecoming is this weekend? Just wait 3 weeks, put on your dress, then take your pictures. Or just take them Saturday looking like a racoon."


Doc: "Usually we try to use glue on faces to minimize scarring. But I'm going to stitch this instead. Just 3 tiny stitches across your nose."


Nurse: "Ice is your friend. If not, your face will be very swollen."


It was after 9:00 when we arrived home. She's at school today, a bit nervous to perform the worm portion of the dance at the pep rally. Tonight is the game & tailgate party, tomorrow the dance. I hope she will keep smiling when she sees the photos from these events.

7 comments:

Heth said...

Oh my goodness, bless her heart! What a week for this to happen. She sounds like she's got a great attitude about it though. I'm sure she will be a gorgeous raccoon! :)

Carolanne said...

Well I guess she'll remember it for a long time regardless of the photos. :)

Melany aka Supermom said...

Oh poor girl! Wonderful that she has such a positive attitude.

Lori said...

Oh no! What a trooper she is. I dread making trips to the ER.

Anonymous said...

Oh, no! Poor kid. That really, really hurts.

She seems to be approaching it with a sense of humor. She isn't Marcia Brady!

PS---meant to tell you I *love* ther purple! Go Rockies!

Mylinda said...

Hi Joanne,
Please check out my blog. There's something there you might want to see. Enjoy!

http://thebuggycrew.blogspot.com/

Ann said...

Yes, what a great attitude she has!! It is awesome that she is going to jump right back in and do the routine and still go out there and have fun with her friends at homecoming. /hi5 to her!! :)

Guess what...if my husband's beloved Red Sox win tonite, they'll be playing your Rockies... hee hee!