Wednesday, November 07, 2007

I heard the familiar fumbling, rattling of the doorknob, bumps and clunks. The door swung open, banging the wall behind it. Ethan, Christina, and large puppy Dazy had arrived.

I was sitting on the couch. As usual, I waited. After a few moments, I see the little boy face peek around the corner. I probably shouldn't, but I began wildly waving, "Hi Ethan! Come see Gramma!" And as he typically does, he ducked back around the corner. I can hear his little feet pounding down the hall to the bedroom. He isn't really shy, but this is his routine.

I wait. He doesn't come out. Uh, oh...I forgot my part. I knew it was coming, and yet I hadn't remembered. I have a closet in my bedroom, where for years I hid Christmas presents. While out shopping, I almost always come across a little something I know Ethan can't live without. A spiderman shirt, power ranger action figure, or a book about cars. At first I was saving them for an occasion, but Ethan wandered in there one day. Ever since, the first place he goes when he gets here is the closet-looking for a treat.

Earlier in the week, I'd gone to see him and bought him two games. That threw me, & I hadn't purchased anything else. I jumped up from the couch to see what he was doing. If he doesn't find a treat, he makes up his own. A new roll of wrapping paper becomes his sword.

I hear giggling and laughing. I find him on the floor, flipping through the toyrus catalog. I'd pulled it out of the Sunday paper, thinking he might like looking at it. He was enchanted.

"Come show Grandpa what you found." He continued his silly laughter, pointing to various toys. It was a great game. I tried to coax him from the room, but he couldn't be bothered. I went back to the living room to wait, calling to him occasionally. Finally, I hear muffled movement from the hall. I look over to see Ethan crawling on his knees. His hands held the pages open, as he pushed the magazine along the floor, squealing with delight. He must have tried to carry it, but couldn't hold it open and walk too.

We sat together as he pointed out his favorites. What joy it was to see him so contented. You'd think the pictures had come to life watching him touch each one. This was the best present yet, and it was free. His favorite page? It had both spiderman and transformers and with it the cheeriest chuckle I've ever heard.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Man, is he cute or what?! Thanks for stopping by Mile High Mamas.

Anonymous said...

That's one happy fella, Mamaw! :o)

Ann said...

That's precious! He'll remember going to that closet the rest of his life :) I remember the first thing I did when I'd go to my grandma's house is head straight for the candy dish. And when my grandpa would come home from work, we'd peek in his lunch box. There was always a Twinkie in there for us!

Sweet memories :)

Lori said...

He reminds me of my Jackie. It also takes very little to make her sooo happy! She loves the simple things in life. He's too cute!