Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Don't Mess with PMS

I was not a nice person yesterday. As I stood arguing with the meat manager at our local supermarket, in the back of my mind I kept thinking, "Mr., I am really not in the mood for your bad attitude. Besides, you do not know who or what you are up against. Don't mess with PMS." I noticed the way some meat was marked and packaged and it struck me as false advertising, or at least misleading. The manager happened to be standing there, and I mentioned it to him. He over-reacted and became extremely defensive, talking a mile a minute. It triggered something in me.


I calmly explained my side again and he argued back that in reality what they were advertising was technically correct. I continued to point out that it was very misleading and felt they were taking advantage of the consumer. Normally, the store has excellent customer service. I've complained to the produce manager when something wasn't right, and he did everything he could to make it right. I've had the same experience in the bakery, deli, pharmacy, floral dept., etc. I am careful to not only take the time to complain, but also to compliment and acknowledge when I receive excellent service, help or whatever positive thing I can point out.


This man reacted in a very negative way, on a day when I just was NOT in the mood. I was so agitated, I forgot most of what else I needed on my shopping list. I wandered over to the produce department. I really wanted to go back to the meat manager and say something like, "I'll bet normally you are a nice person." Or, "You must be having a bad day, as I'm sure that you really want to be a nicer person." But I didn't. I also wanted to slap 1 of the butchers who interjected his comments while the manager and I were arguing. When I told Michael about it later, he agreed the guy was hitting on me.


Thankfully, I didn't say the things I wanted to do, nor was I physically aggressive. I was disappointed in myself for getting caught up emotionally and not handling it better. Maybe to avoid future issues such as this I'm going to have a button made to wear on certain days: Don't Mess With PMS.

7 comments:

His Girl said...

Good girl for using self control!!

may the end of PMS misery be swift for you ...until next month :)

Heth said...

Don't mess with PMS.
And don't mess with the meat prices. Man are they high lately!

Anonymous said...

Just wait until menopause. ;o)

Anonymous said...

Boy, Joanne...I had a cantankerous day yesterday, too.

I think it's okay to call out a store when something is wrong. I also understand how easy it is to get caught up in something like that...

Anonymous said...

Boy, Joanne...I had a cantankerous day yesterday, too.

I think it's okay to call out a store when something is wrong. I also understand how easy it is to get caught up in something like that...

Kellan said...

Hi Joanna - I need one of those "Don't Mess with PMS" signs too - boy oh boy do I - maybe even a bumper sticker to match - and a hat with the logo on the brim ... and a button for my lapel ...

See ya. Kellan

As We Sail... said...

You should freak him out with your guitar hero accomplishments and he'll know not to mess with you.