Monday, January 14, 2008

The internet has certainly changed my world, how about you? It began with email, and the ease at connecting with family and friends with quick notes. Later, I found a kinship with other moms through message boards. We developed relationships, prayed for one another, laughed, cried, and celebrated occasions together. Then the world of blogging opened up to me yet another opportunity to meet new friends and peek into their lives. In spite of all we communicate across the lines of the internet, these people would be strangers if passed on the street. I find that amazing. We share intimate things through the typing of our fingers with folks we've never seen face-to-face.

I've had a few exceptions. I've met 2 fellow bloggers in person. One is a very chic and cool lady who lives Under the Laundry Pile (where she hides from her 7 kids.) The other is mopsy at Lifenut who is clever and witty as she shares the adventures of life with 6 kids.

Last night was yet another fun meeting. An internet friend I came to know, from a message board, allowed her daughter and friend to drive across country and stay two with my family. I did have a short phone conversation with their mom before they left. She couldn't believe I didn't have a southern accent, as she was sure I was from the South. (Even though she knows I grew up in Arizona and now live in Colorado.) I expected to hear a frazzled woman on the other end of the line, but instead she was a confident, articulate lady who didn't sound at all like the home of chaos she often describes. One of these days, I will convince her to blog and you all can meet her too. (Did I mention she has 13 kids?)

For now, I'm going to go enjoy my house guests for the short time they are here.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your time with those lovely young ladies. How awesome of you to offer your home!

Kellan said...

Enjoy!

Hey - thanks for coming over and leaving the well wishes - I am fine - only need to remember about that bra thing the next time I ever have to call 911. Hope to see you tomorrow. Kellan

His Girl said...

i think i would be amazed to hear the voices of all my new bloggy friends... i'm always shocked when i see a pastor in person that i've only heard on the radio, or meet an author face to face!

FLmom7 said...

Lucky you, getting to talk to Jenn over the phone and meeting her girls;-) Hope you enjoyed their visit. It is amazing to be able to meet such great people over the internet, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

The internet has definitely been rewarding for me. I've gotten to "meet" great friends like you! :o)

Ann said...

Yesterday was Heth's birthday :) (Monday)

Jenni said...

I've been hounding her to blog for years now. Hopefully you will have more success than I! LOL! I'm glad you had such a good time with the girls.

Kristin said...

Oh, how fun! I've made some friends over the internet, too, but I've only met one (a fellow CMC.) I did go to a MOMYS retreat though!

Have fun!