Sunday, April 06, 2008

Details part 2

Back in 2003, Christopher was a senior in high school. Often, I wouldn't get to bed until around midnight. Before laying my head on the pillow, I'd go downstairs to check on everyone. As I'd pass Christopher's closed door, I'd hear muffled talking. Opening the door, I'd find him talking on the phone.

"Who are you talking to at this hour? Don't you know you have to be up in 6 hours?" (As if I didn't also.) The answer was always the same.

"Lauren."

Who was this girl that he talked to so late at night? I truly wanted to take away his phone privileges for being on so late. At the same time, I reasoned he was 18. In a few months, he'd be off at college. He would have to make choices about what time he went to bed, knowing what time he had to go to class. At some point he wouldn't have his mom telling him what to do. I figured it was better to let him begin making these choices now.

One night, after finding him on the phone late again, I asked him if Lauren's parents were ok with her being on the phone that late. He said he didn't know. I let him know, that if her parents objected that he was dishonoring them by talking to her so late. I could tell by the look on his face, he cared.

During basketball season, Christopher declared he wasn't cutting his hair until his high school team went to State. It not only got longer, but taller. His hair began to look like a crop was planted atop his head. To the games, he dressed in a black and white referee shirt or his mean & green tee, with white-out contact lenses. I couldn't help but wonder if other people questioned who the parents were of this teen.

At the beginning of state playoffs, his school was teamed against my daughter's school. She was a cheerleader at the Christian school associated with our church. I recall as we walked into the building, the pastor's son was pointing at my son and whispering to his friend. But it didn't bother Christopher one bit as he strode by.

Later, when we met up in the car, my son seemed a bit concerned. "Ma, I just met Lauren's dad." I didn't understand what the big deal was. He continued, "he probably thought I was a weirdo." I could hardly believe my ears. The boy who didn't seem to mind who saw him dressed so crazy, but he cared what Lauren's dad thought. "So did he say anything?" I asked. "Well, he said he liked seeing a kid with so much enthusiasm for his team." I liked this dad. But at the same time, I couldn't help but wonder if this girl could possibly be the future spouse I'd prayed for so often through the years. And what would you think if your daughter seemed crazy about this boy?



Christopher and Lauren graduated from high school, and "just happened" to go to the same college 1000 miles away.
At the end of their first year of college, Lauren's mom, Dee, & I drove to Arizona together. We talked and shared the entire 12 1/2 hours we were in the car together. (The time passed so quickly, it seemed it was maybe a 4 hour drive.) It was amazing to hear the stories of Lauren growing up. I was quite certain this was the little girl I'd prayed about. As we laughed and chattered away, I could see how well these two complemented one another. I suspected a marriage could possibly be in their future, but I didn't want to rush anything. So I tried to do as Mary, and quietly tucked away these thoughts into my heart.

6 comments:

~Tammy~ said...

Ok, now I have tears in my eye! That is sooo sweet!

Anonymous said...

That is precious! What's really neat is how you and Lauren's mom get along so well. That's really cool.

Melanie said...

I'm really enjoying reading their story told from your perspective!

PJ said...

I love the two of them in the green gowns. THAT "mean and green" picture is Beautiful. Such a sweet story!

Jenni said...

Your son seems like such a fun kid; I love the white contacts!

This has been so wonderful to read; what a tale of God's faithfulness and His own passion for a good love story!

His Girl said...

wow. i am so sorry i got so behind on your blog. this story is making me all sniffly and warm and fuzzy!

awesome! off to read more!