Monday, April 14, 2008

Spring Has Sprung

As the temperatures soared into the 60's, I flung my kitchen window open. I breathed in deeply. Ah, the fresh scent of spring. I quickly finished cleaning up, so I could enjoy the warm, sunshine.

Ethan loves spring too. We spent all afternoon outside. He wasn't too happy when it was time to come in. I think he wanted to bring that fresh, spring air inside. In fact, I'm sure of it. I noticed the clean scent as I came downstairs. It reminded me of freshly laundered sheets, hanging on the clothes line, gently blowing in the breeze. The air inside was indeed spring fresh. Actually, it was April fresh, according to the empty bottle lying on the laundry room floor.

In his little helper way, Ethan managed to take the clean clothes out of the dryer, and place them back in the washer. Apparently, they didn't smell clean enough. An entire bottle of fabric softener would do the trick.

What a mess! It was all over the top of the washer, down the front, on the floor. Pretty much everywhere. In trying to salvage some of the blue liquid, I took 20 of my nicest cleaning cloths and soaked up the April freshness. I thought I could toss one in to the rinse cycle of the next 20 or so loads and voila! I'd have soft, static-free, nice smelling clothing.

Seriously, what was I thinking? First off, how am I to know exactly when the rinse cycle begins? Would a little timer go off in my brain, exactly 43 minutes after I put clothes into the machine? Or is my memory so superb, that I would automatically remember to run downstairs at just the right moment? Nope. Isn't going to happen.

Secondly, the blue splashes down the wallpaper should have been a clue that this was not a good idea. Once the blue stuff dries, a cold water rinse does NOT dissolve it into the creamy liquid it once was. My lovely cleaning rags are now dirty blue, and leave anti-static streaks on my mirrors. Oh, but they do smell fresh. April Fresh. Thank-you Ethan, for bringing the spring air inside for all to enjoy.

8 comments:

Kristin said...

I recognize those days -- everything seems so nice, then minor catastrophe. Ah, the life with curious kids and "helpers."

Lori said...

You describe the spring weather so well. We've gotten colder temps here in Ohio again, but I have big hopes.

Oops! The whole fabric softner thing doesn't sound like much fun.

Anonymous said...

I love it! I love how you described the freshness of spring and then surprised us with Ethan's little incident! Clever :)

That's so cute, Ethan knew just what to do for the laundry, he just grabbed the wrong bottle of stuff is all. My 8 year old wouldn't have a clue.

Anonymous said...

YIkes! LOL.

At least your static cling days are behind you for awhile.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...sorry.

That made me grin, which I needed to do in a bad way.

The wind is blowing HARD, or I'd have my windows open too.

Soon...please, God!?

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

And since I am taking the time to comment instead of just read...ahem...I must tell you that the nappy engaged couple are the cutest thig I've seen in a long time. Those two really are adorable! God bless them. And all y'all.

His Girl said...

oh! what a wonderful thing to have 'helpers'


at least it made for a good blog! *shrugs* not much comfort for you, though, huh?

hahaha.

Heth said...

Oh Ethan! What a helper.

I can totally relate, we had the same fabric softener issues recently.