Thursday, May 01, 2008

May Day

My friend Heth has a great May Day tradition. Last year she shared about it, I was inspired. I remember back in Kindergarten doing the May Pole Dance. I don't remember ever celebrating this day any other time. I'm always looking for an excuse for any kind of celebration, especially if it involves treats to eat. But yesterday it was 82 degrees and the outdoors called to me. Often. (I have sunburned shoulders to prove it.) This morning I was thinking about those May baskets and candy. Now I have an excuse not to share this celebration with others. I can't take my car out in this:


Yes, that is snow. It just started about 5 minutes ago. Guess I'll have to eat the candy myself.
Happy May Day!

*Updated*
(An hour later, it is starting to stick)

8 comments:

~Tammy~ said...

Just goes to show: Always grab Sunshine while you can!

Wow, SNOW in May! Where do you live?

Anonymous said...

We delivered our May Baskets yesterday! I picked the boys up from school, and they were all excited. And then it started to rain. But we went ahead anyway. Most of the people had covered porches, and the ones that didn't we just put in the mailbox. It was fun. I made a bunch for my husband to take to work too, since no one around here has ever heard of them. They got a good kick out of it :)

Anonymous said...

I had the same thoughts yesterday, Joanne!

Our lawn was completely covered in snow, but by dinner it had melted away and the kids were playing outside. Ah, Colorado.

His Girl said...

I've never celebrated may day before! maybe next year!

Kristin said...

LOL, that hits too close to home! It was in the 80's last week here, too ::shock!::, but it's been in the 40's and 50's all this week. Ah well, I wasn't quite ready for summer yet, but all the early blooms!

Truth said...

Tammy, I live in Colorado. I love it after growing up in Phoenix where it is hot for too long and no snow.

Ann, how did you get any May baskets? That sounds like so much fun, I love hearing about others doing this.

Anonymous said...

This year we didn't receive any, because the people here didn't know about it. But if you mean how did we make them, I just bought bright colorful plastic cups (a lot of kids buy paper or styrofoam cups and color all over them to decorate, you can also make them by rolling a piece of construction paper into a cone shape, staple or tape it off), punched a hole on either side of the cup near the top and used a colorful pipe cleaner to make a handle. Then we filled ours with popcorn/cheeseballs and all kinds of candy. I should have taken a picture.

Kim said...

UGH!! I keep waiting for our late snow to hit. Maybe we'll luck out this year and be spared. Hope it's the last that you get.