Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Christopher's Birth Story.

Back around July 11th, I promised to tell Christopher's birth story. I'm finally getting around to it.

Twenty-four years ago, I was expecting my second child. We'd moved to Colorado and I was feeling very far away from family. On April 1st, at 26 weeks, we shared the happy news with our parents. Shortly thereafter, my parents revealed their own surprise. They were about to embark on a 2 year teaching assignment to Germany. The plan was for them to leave the beginning of August. My baby was due July 5th.

Knowing they'd miss his first couple of years, my parents flew out for his birth. A week later, taking 3 year old Christina with them, my parents flew home. No baby. Three days later, my inlaws brought Christina back to wait for Christopher to be born.

I went to the doctor July 10th. He declared I was ready and could have the baby anytime. I was dilated to 4 cm. That was good news, but still no baby. The next morning, after having contractions for 2 days straight, I decided I was tired of waiting. At 9:00a.m., we headed to the hospital.

Surprise. I was 4 cm. dilated. Nothing had changed. My doctor, who likes things done in a timely fashion, assured me that by breaking my water, I'd have the baby quickly. I was hesitant. I couldn't help but think how cushy that bag of water was. Once that nice water pillow was popped, the cushion was gone. It would be bone against bone. NOT my idea of comfort. I yielded anyway. I wanted the baby born.

Just as I thought. The contraction following the bursting of my water bag was very painful. The next one was worse. And oh my, I couldn't take it anymore. Doctor Snyder suggested I get an epidural. I remembered the Demerol from my 1st labor. No, no, no he convincingly said, this is completely different. This doesn't just take the edge off. This magical drug will cause you to completely relax and feel no pain.

I was skeptical. If that was true, why didn't I get one before.?I trusted my doctor and I was desperate. I gave in to his offer for relief. I waited for this wonder drug to kick in and provide some calm before the storm. I waited. And waited. My peace never arrived.

Instead, I believe the drug put my baby in distress. His heartrate began dropping.
The oxygen mask went over my face. The room quickly filled with people. I have no idea who they all were. Students? Doctors? I don't know, but I felt like I was center stage at some fancy theatrical performance only I wasn't properly dressed. I was poked, prodded, twisted and contorted to find a place that "baby was happy." I was ordered to begin pushing.

I pushed with all I had. Some woman had the audacity to tell my I wasn't trying hard enough. She said I wasn't holding my breath and wanted another person to "help" me hold my breath. I was in tears. Everything hurt. I felt like I wasn't going to make it. My doctor said, "we need to get this baby out NOW!" With that, he proceeded to perform another lovely procedure-an episiotomy. I had no problem with this, except when he went to cut, YEOW!!!! He was certain I wasn't really feeling pain. I only thought I was feeling pain because I could see what he was doing. They put a drape up so I wouldn't know when he was making the cut.

Nope, that was not the problem. I think when I screamed, he believed me and numbed the area before he continued. As soon as he was done, he grabbed the forceps and attempted to pull my baby out. As he pulled, I felt as if something was turning me inside out. I cannot describe the intense pain. Not being able to get a good enough grip, the doctor added metal extenders onto the forceps. I wish I had a photo, as I sometimes have a hard time believing this really happened. Michael later told me he was very scared. As he watched the doctor tug, twist, and pull, he feared his baby's head would pop right off.

At 4:56p.m my son appeared. His face and head were quite bruised, but he was in one piece. Christopher was born 7/11/84 and weighed 7lbs 7 oz.

Shortly after Christopher's birth, I went numb from the waist down. Nice, but a little too late. I was told by my nurse that my doctor was out in the hall chewing out the anesthesiologist who'd conveniently disappeared after my failed epidural. The following day he told me the birth had been difficult but he'd worked with me since I'd been so adamant against a c-section. "But"he added, "I'd never do it again." I think he was as traumatized as we were.


I truly believe had it not been for a friend who attended the birth and prayed throughout the delivery, things would not have turned out so well. But one look into Christopher's eyes and all was forgotten. We were blessed with a son.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

A wonderful story about a wonderful baby boy! I'm so glad that I now know the story in such detail! You were such a strong mother then and have been throughout his life :) He is now an incredible 24 year old whom I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with. XOXO

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Ouch! That's pretty harrowing---and quite the dramatic entrance into the world.

Melanie said...

Oh, I'm so sorry you had such a difficult delivery! OUCH! Thankfully you were blessed with a healthy little boy at the end!

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

What Melanie said. Owwwwwwwww! I've had that experience of being told that serious pain was "imagined" (it was during EYE surgery!) and it is maddening!

Kellan said...

Oh My Gosh - that is some birth story. It's amazing and I'm so glad it worked out - but, I was in pain just hearing all about it. I had epidurals with my 3 pregnacies and believe me - when they work - they are a GIFT!

BTW - you asked the other day about my mother's hair and whether I'd ever let mine go natural (white) - NOPE! My grandmother (my mom's mom) had the same premature white hair. She had 8 kids and my mom is the only one that ended up with it also (she turned at 23 years old). My mother had three children and I am the one that got the premature white hair and I color it - constantly. I've let it go a bit natural before and it is not quite as white as hers and not near as attractive. I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with it white!

Thanks for asking - sorry for the long answer. See you soon - Kellan

Mylinda said...

Wow! That's a tough story, but isn't it wonderful how the precious life beginning makes it all worthwhile? I know Christopher has been a blessing to you and will continue to be. :-)

Kristin said...

OH, how awful. The second time around is supposed to be much easier -- but not always the case, huh? I can't believe they did such a bad epidural. I've had some not take 100%, but usually I'm mostly numb. Thank God that He protected that precious son.

Anonymous said...

OUCH!!! I was a forceps baby. My Mom said they threw my first pictures away because the bruising was so bad. I do have a newborn picture but they turned my head so you can't see the mark.

I'm sorry you had to go through so much trauma. Glad you had a happy ending!!!

Anonymous said...

EEK! Thank God for praying friends!

(I'm so glad I had a c-section!)

PJ said...

What a horror story -- but a blessedly wonderful one!!! Such a dichotomy, not an event you would want to repeat, but not one that would ever have wished to miss. (I have an anesthesiologist story to tell, too! But not for childbirth!)

Anonymous said...

That sounds so very very painful!!! Sjoe.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by God Gave Me You, I know grandchildren are a blessing, my mom LOVES Tristan so much, in a different way then she loves me. Hope you will visit my blog again, you can subscribe to my blog if you like. And, you can always shop my online avon store too.
Take Care