Monday, October 27, 2008

A New Week

Ah, a brand new week. Normally I don't like Mondays, but today is different. I looked at my calendar and what did I see?

No costumes to create.
No school parties to plan.
No cupcakes to bake, no decorations to make.
Nothing. I have nothing to do.

Honestly, I never thought I'd see this day come. I couldn't imagine it in my wildest (or calmest) dreams. But it is here.

I was warned by older ladies that children grow up in the blink of an eye. It isn't that I didn't believe them. But back then, I didn't have time to blink. It was one of those things that would have to wait. Somewhere along the way, my eyes grew weary & closed. The blink happened.

This week, I will watch moms rush about with their little ones. I will smile. I won't bother to tell them to stop and enjoy the moment. One day down the road, their eyes will momentarily shut. They will glance at the calendar, but it will look different. It will be empty. A smile will spread across their face. Together we will relax and enjoy the memories.

8 comments:

Heth said...

Are you handy with a glue gun, because my procrastination has caught up with me again this year. We are on costume making high alert.

Or you could sit back and drink an extra cup of coffee and read a magazine. You have earned it for sure!

Kate said...

Right now, that sounds so blissful!!! :-)

I'm looking forward to a time when the calendar isn't filled with medical appointments, myself.

Anonymous said...

Sniffle.

Kristin said...

Such a bitter-sweet thought, huh? But you are so right about the time flying. Sigh.

Lisa said...

I hope I will be able to enjoy it.

PJ said...

And...I was invited to the party...and didn't have to do anything at all -- except devise a very easy costume for me.

DIL and son did all the work.

Mylinda said...

Yep. (Said melancholily)

Anonymous said...

This was a really neat post, Joanne. Right now I'm looking over at Emily, wishing she'd be my baby forever. She just smiled at me. I think she's up to something.