Friday, October 17, 2008

Thoughts

I'm not sure why. I guess it takes time to digest a big event. Months of planning, preparing, anticipating and then it is over. Every night, before falling asleep, memories of the wedding/rehearsal/reception/brunch, etc. play in my head. When I awaken, it is the same. It has a hold on me, like a favorite book or movie.

I look forward to the return of the newlyweds. There was no time to spend with them after the big event. I want to hear their thoughts, feelings, and such. What moments were most memorable? Moments of joy, stress, tenderness...I want to know how it went for them. Without a doubt, they are reliving every part of their celebration.

At the rehearsal, Michael made a toast to the couple. I wish I'd had a video camera. After reminding Christopher of the longevity of marriages in their family history (we are at 25 years, Lauren's parents 33, my parents are getting ready to celebrate their 50th, Michael's parents their 59th,) he went on to give Christopher a few words of advice. I hope I get this right.

He said to tell his new wife he loves her at least once each day.
Tell her often how beautiful she is.
And lastly, if she sends him to the store, he should get very specific instructions so as not to bring home the wrong thing. (I think I might have forgotten something, but that was the gist of it. Maybe he will comment or someone else whose memory is better.)

Did I post a pic of my girls yet? If not, here they are:
Elisabeth, Hilary, Sarabeth, Christina, & Ethan in the front.

7 comments:

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Just catching up here. I've been laid low with a bad back--and other dramatic events and so am catching up. WOW! I smiled at the pictures of the wedding (and Ethan, especially) and I see I really need to be praying for you and your family. (((Truth))) Heading off to bed, I will do so now.

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful! Both picture and toast! :o)

Jenni said...

Oh yes! It does take a looong time to digest these major life events. Your girls (and Ethan) are beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Another point Mike made was tell her often how lucky he is to have her in your life!
love,
janice

Heth said...

I know exactly what you mean about digesting a big event Joanne. Savoring it as long as you can. It sounds like it was a magical day. What wonderful advice Michael gave.

Anonymous said...

The revisiting of the wedding events - before, during and after will be wonderful once the newlyweds return.

Thanks for the wonderful birthday song! You made my day. :)

Kristin said...

I can imagine with the whirlwind it's hard to take it all in (sort of like Christmas.) That's why capturing the memories are so important for me; just to remember and reflect. Your girls are beautiful!