Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Urgent Text Message

I am in the kitchen washing dishes, when I hear the ping of my phone. I dry my hands wondering who is sending me a message. I read:

~Mom, are you near the computer?~

I remember 9/11. We were glued to the t.v. all day watching with horror. It couldn't be anything like that, Michael was at his computer. He checks in with CNN regularly. I text her back:

~No~

I remember April 20, 1999. It was another day in Colorado we sat riveted to the screen as we watched the tragedy of the shooting at Columbine High School. Ping! My hands are wet again. I grab a towel.

~Can you get on the computer for me real quick?~

Cell phone in one hand, a kitchen towel in the other, I head to the computer.

~Ok, what do you need?~

~You know that chicken on bugs bunny and friends and his name was like Colonel something and he was big what was his name? My history class wants to know.~

I'm a little confused. But like any good mom, I begin a google search.

~Foghorn Leghorn~

~Well which is it?~

~No, that is his whole name.~

~LOL cool thanks~

I'm still texting my reply

~Foghorn is his first name, he played with the dog. Nobody said his name really.~

~Thanks Mom! That was driving us crazy~

That evening I ask her what that was all about. She said she was in history class and they couldn't remember the chicken's name. It was driving the teacher crazy that nobody could come up with it. So he told her, "Hilary, text your mom. You're always texting her in class anyway."

I'm thinking I need a raise for providing entertainment to the school history class. Either that or I just need to get a job. I obviously have way too much time on my hands-at least that's what everyone thinks.

Thankfulness: I am so very thankful I've been able to stay home and raise my children.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

BWAHAHA!

Next time, tell her to call me. There's lots of stuff rattling around in my head. ;o)

Anonymous said...

Okay... Left a Mamaw picture for you!

~Tammy~ said...

Okay, I am rolling on the floor here! I always assume that an unexpected call that starts out like that is bad news... Samuel (my youngest) says I am Queen of the Worst Case Scenario!

My oldest called me one day, after he'd been married a year or so... demanding that I sing the theme song to Sesame Street... he would explain later. Sing it now, PLEASE Mom!

So I sang. ".... on my way to where the air is sweet..."

Then I hear the arguement break out on the other end of the line... He and his DW were arguing over the words to a children's TV show!

"See! I TOLD you it was "sweet" and not "free"! ""That's stupid! How can air be "sweet? They say "FREE!"....

Gee, the things we do for our kids.

Kellan said...

That is so funny - "you are always texting anyway" - ACK! I can never remember that chicken's name either!

Take care - Kellan

Anonymous said...

lol and there she was probably thinking the teacher was unaware of her sending text messages :)

PJ said...

That is so hysterical. And so cool...that a teenage daughter texts her mom!! Really cool. It's also pretty cool that her teacher know her well enough to not only know that she's texting, but that it's to her mom! LOL Blessings!

Lisa said...

LOL! It pays to have seen vintage cartoons on Saturday morning! Mine called one night from camp to ask what a nun is before she's a nun. Mom's are as good as google.

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! It would have driven me nuts too, if you didn't share that chicken's name with us. And it is so cool that your daughter texts you!

Kristin said...

Oh, Joanee -- ROFL! I would die laughing (even if I wanted to kill my kid for scaring me.)