Monday, March 02, 2009

Ethan Eats

Ethan cracks me up and impresses me every time I see him.
Last night, after sleeping for 2 hours, he came bolting out of the bedroom. Looking dazed and not really awake, he began mumbling. I had no idea what was going on with him. But then I recognized his signing. He was signing "eat."

"Ethan, are you hungry?" He nodded and signed eat. How could I deny him?

He took me by the hand and led me to the refrigerator. Both doors were flung open as he browsed the contents.

"How about a pretzel?" I asked, as I pulled them out of the freezer and tried to shut the doors.

"NO!" He pushed them back open, & pushed the pretzels back in place. He was searching for something. I continued to offer what I thought he'd eat. More emphatic "no's." Finally he pointed. A bag of frozen french fries. Ugh! He didn't really expect me to cook french fries, did he?

"You want french fries???"

It was unmistakable. He signed please, over and over, while nodding his head.

Guess who fried 3 batches of french fries at 9:30 last night? I've never seen a kid eat so many french fries and keep asking for more.

10 comments:

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

What beautiful kids.

If I ate french fries at that time of night I'd have heartburn for sure.

Mylinda said...

What a fun memory! :-)

Melanie said...

WTG keeping Grandma on her toes, Ethan! :)

BTW, Joanne, I saw the comment you left on Kate's blog about wishing you knew how to make a prettier blog design.

Here are a few sites with very easy to install blog templates:

The Cutest Blog on the Block
and
Izzie Grace Blog Backgrounds.

Or I'd be happy to play around and try to design something for you. I'm learning how to do it and have redesigned 3 of my blog so far. Email me if you're interested. (melsmunchkins@gmail.com)

Mother Mayhem said...

Awesome kid! :o)

If I come over will you make me french fries too? YUM

~Tammy~ said...

How cool! I have learned the "eat", "drink" and "more" signs from my DD... she has taught them to my 18 month old grandson. It sure helps to communicate! (DD keeps a baby sister of an autistic child, and learned the signs from that child's mother)

Heth said...

You are a super fun Grandma.

Anonymous said...

Teaching sign to young children is so good for all involved. Our youngest two learned a few basic signs early and it sure helped with communication until they could talk clearly.

I think I would have enjoyed those french fries with Ethan. Yum!

Lori said...

LOL! Oh my. He must be having a growth spurt!

Anonymous said...

How loving :) And Ethan, I ate brownies today!!! Maybe Grandma can make a batch with you soon *wink*

Anonymous said...

:) You are a great Grandma