Thursday, April 16, 2009

Lost & Found

Michael & I went for a walk after dinner. I noticed a piece of folded paper lying on the ground. Upon closer inspection, I recognized what looked like the back of a check. I picked it up and it was a hand-written check for $4000. Just sitting in the middle of the street. I didn't recognize the name of the recipient, nor the name of the check-writer, whose address was Boulder, Co.

Using the internet, Michael located the owner of the check by phone. He didn't know he'd lost it, but arrived within 15 minutes to pick it up. How can someone be so careless with $4000?

But then, I have to ask myself the same thing. What am I being careless or reckless about? Are there things I value in my life that I don't give much attention? Do I continue about my day expecting the things I take for granted to always be here? What relationships/people do I take for granted? What daily pleasures do I feel entitled to and yet could be gone in a moment?

If I am honest, I have to admit I am a bit too lackadaisical about most things. That's about to change.

9 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow about the check! How wonderful that Michael was able to locate and get in touch with the person.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

He didn't know he'd lost it?

WOW, Michael should be his new best friend.

And I so hear you about the casual attitude....sigh.

Kate said...

What a valuable lesson/reminder to not take things for granted. That's a reminder everyone needs to hear on a regular basis.

I hope the man was appreciative of Michael taking the time to track him down & return the check. Must be nice to have so much $$$ that $4000 can go missing, unnoticed! LOL

Heth said...

Wow, that's a lot of money just laying in the street!

You are so right. I'm right there with ya.

Julie said...

Ohh Wow ! how blessed the check owner was that an honest person found it! and I agree, how could anyone be so careless with something so valuable. But guilty we all are, aren't we... such a good reminder to be more careful with the valuable things placed in our trust.

Your blog header is sooo beautiful!!

cheryl said...

I love how you've taken a situation and turned it into: "What do I see about myself?" Truly wonderful and a great thing to practice. I am also inspired!!

ann said...

Oh wow! And I hear you, especially with relationships. I think I take a lot for granted. Great application, Joanne.

Kristin said...

I hope he was grateful! Not many people would bother like that. You are so right about taking things for granted. I think we just get so busy with our day-to-day stuff that big things get overlooked.

Mother Mayhem said...

Food for thought. Yum! :o)