Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Still Learning

Learning is a good thing, right? My brain is overloaded at the moment. The internet is both a blessing and a curse. I'm thankful the information is out there, but wading through it causes me to sink to drowning point. While my head spins from trying to swim, I'll share my enlightenment.

I learned yesterday, that my daughter Elisabeth, has Celiac Sprue. After all of these years, it is nice to finally have an answer to her many symptoms. Unfortunately it feels like a lifetime sentence. Over the weekend, I read about this disease. The puzzle pieces started to form a picture.

I was shocked at the vast number of ailments CS can cause. Elisabeth exhibits so very many of them. A part of me was hopeful. A simple diet change could alter her life in a positive way. Just remove wheat gluten from her diet. Life is good again. I was almost elated when she received the diagnosis yesterday. But then the reality of it began its hostile takeover.

Breads, pasta, cookies...ok, that sounds hard, but we can do this. (Elisabeth, if you are reading this, stop. You've already thought about this.) Pizza, ramen, chex mix, frosted mini wheats, triscuit crackers-a sampling of favorite snacks that are banned. Breakfast burritos, Chick Filet, Cheeseburgers, Burger King Chicken Sandwiches; the quick fast-food fixes are out. This is getting harder.

I had no idea the foods which might contain wheat gluten: sour cream, yogurt, french fries. Apparently condiments can also hide this now evil ingredient, so labels have to be read for salad dressings, ketchup, mustard are just a few. Soy sauce, that I cook with so frequently, has a major wheat component.

Sigh.

I'm also thinking that Elisabeth's bout with "shingles" was actually not shingles, but a symptom caused by CS.

Whatever am I going to do with my recipe page? It might receive a transformation, with a new section of gluten-free. I'm open to advice from anyone who has successfully embraced a gluten-free diet.

Maybe this is a new opportunity for adventure. I need to come up with the perfect gluten-free diet. While I'm at it, I might as well make it casein-free too. Then Ethan will greatly benefit too.

8 comments:

Betty and Ed Haws said...

Excellent comments on the disease that Elisabetn has been diagnosised with. Well written and easy to understand.What a job you will have coming up with a suitable diets for Elisabeth and for Ethan (Casein).
We sen out love to them.

Gm & Gp haws

~Tammy~ said...

(((Hugs)))
I know that Chris from "Notes from the Trenches" is now gluten free. Maybe she can help?
I will have to look up symptoms- I believe that may be Bill Joe's problem. They are on the verge of saying it is either Crohn's disease or hypochondria.
Good luck!

Heth said...

I'm glad you have an answer now Joanne. Think of it as a challenge and an adventure. :)

Natalia said...

Joanne

Wow, I'm not surprised you feel overloaded. Can I share a site that I've been following for a while (she used to be "hillbilly housewife") who now does GFCF. http://frugalabundance.com/ I'm sure there are hundreds of others but that's one I'm more familiar with.

I'm sorry though.

Also, I finally replied to your comment on my blog like many months ago, I am trying to catch up. I did read it at the time but haven't figured out quick replies. Thank you for coming by when you do, though. The reply isn't particularly inspired but I just wanted to let you know that I did notice! http://big-ol-families.blogspot.com/2008/04/wade-family.html

Natalia

Mother Mayhem said...

Wow.

Let's look on the bright side...

There are lots of tools for learning about CS, and you are perfectly capable of learning how to use them. :o)

As more becomes known about CS, more products are made available.

Our Kroger store has a large Gluten free section. :o)

Holding Elisabeth in my prayers.

Truth said...

Thanks everyone for your comments and help!

ann said...

That is a great idea, to have a gluten-free/casein-free section on your recipe blog. Does the grocery store you go to have a gluten-free section? But I am so glad you know what has been going on with Elisabeth now, after all this time.

Unknown said...

Joanne,
There is a gluten free store near us. I'll do some research and let you know what I find out. Meanwhile, be glad you're not this kid's parent. OH Boy..It won't let me post a pic here. Check out our facebook connection and laugh for a few minutes.