Monday, May 18, 2009

Reflections

Here I sit, soaring through the night sky. The droning engine roar dulls the lively banter of the passengers in the row behind me. But not enough. I pull out my ipod, close my eyes, and reflect on this past week. The music soothes and I drift back over the events and places I've experienced. I lived the life of someone else for 7 days, an unfamiliar journey.

We boarded a similar plane back in Denver last Monday. After a brief stopover in Atlanta, Georgia, we landed in Charlotte, North Carolina for my first trip to the East Coast.

At this moment, Brad Paisley's song "Better Than This" sings in my ears. I find it amusing. A group of men sitting around enjoying the moment and proclaiming, "it don't get better than this." He responds, "it could get better than this." But adds outlandish, impossible scenarios to point out the only way to improve their experience. Pretty much sums up my time in North Carolina. I'd be hard pressed for it to have been any better.

I'm not sure I'm ready to go back to my life. The last meal I prepared was 154 hours ago. Cooking meals is a part of my life, but that seems so far away.

I am laughing now. My ipod is set to shuffle. Brad Paisley again, "I'd like to check you for ticks." I wasn't sure this was a real thing. Seriously. But while on Bald Head Island, after an adventure in the woods, our brother-in-law was teasing us about checking for ticks. Or so I thought. A few minutes after returning to the condo, Michael found a real live tick on his leg. It wasn't the highlight of our trip, lol. Here is Old Baldy himself:

4 comments:

~Tammy~ said...

It sounds like a lovely trip. My eldest son is NOT a country music fan. He was on security detail at Ft Sill several years ago for a country music concert.

I can't think of Brad Paisley without seeing Chris raise his eyebrows and say "So?..." when the entertainer was there testing the microphones, and introduced himself to Chris : Brad Paisley.

Chris was probably pretty rude.

(I didn't raise him that way!)
~Tammy~

Mother Mayhem said...

Glad you had a good holiday! :o)

Mary Ann said...

I am so glad you came to visit Joanne and I hope you guys will be back soon for another adventure (whitewater rafting, gem mining or maybe the Virginia creeper). No matter what we do, you know we will have lots of laughs and good times. It was a very special time for me to get spend time with you and Michael. Love, Mary Ann

ann said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time! We live much closer to the beach now, hopefully this summer we will be able to go and check it out. Welcome home, Joanne!