Sunday, June 21, 2009

50, really?

It was a Sunday. The pastor asked the men who were fathers to stand. The church wanted to honor and acknowledge them on Father's Day. Bravely, the man stood to his feet. "Psst!" A voice whispered. He turned to see Jack standing beside him. "You aren't a father yet. Sit down."

"Actually," my dad replied, "I became a father yesterday." Indeed he had. Fifty years ago my dad began his fatherhood journey. At the time, my mom wasn't due until August. She hardly looked pregnant and the parishoners at church had only recently noticed. Much to their suprise, my sister arrived on June 20th, just in time for Father's Day. Born at a cutting edge facility Carolyn was the youngest premature infant to survive. The hospital was experimenting with a new technique that later became standard practice when dealing with preemies. I believe it saved my sister's life. Well, that and her determination to live.

My sister's first months of life were without a voice. Mom describes going in to check on her to "see" if she was crying. The doctors didn't know if her vocal cords would ever develop. But once they did, according to mom, Carolyn has tried to make up for lost time when she had no voice.
Carolyn loves to talk. She is a story-teller. When she doesn't have a tale to tell, she makes one up. Her imagination is incredible. I grew up believing witches lived on our roof. I heard of their secret visits with my sister and she proudly displayed gifts they gave her. Many lates nights I lay in bed, listening to Carolyn tell of her adventures with "Witchie" and "Warlock." She really should have been a writer.

In high school, I found a notebook. It contained the most amazing words. Carolyn penned passionate poetry with powerful emotion. At that moment, I desired to be like her. I yearned for her ability to breathe life into words, springing them from the paper, to implant in the heart of its reader. My sister has this gift.

In honor of this Father's Day, I'd like to wish my dad a Happy 50th anniversary of being a great Dad, and a very big Happy Birthday to my sister-I won't say how old she is.

Happy Birthday, Carolyn. I love you so much.
Carolyn, daughter-in-law Lauren, Me, my sister Laurie

3 comments:

Lauren said...

I loved this entry - and I love chatting with Aunt Carolyn :)

You both are great with words!

Unknown said...

Joanne,
Another great story...And for the past 30 years, I've been the beneficiary of that imagination. Its the same as you describe and gets better with time. Larry

Kristin said...

Oh, what a lovely tribute. That is amazing how they saved her life. How blessed to have the right people and technology at the right time.