Friday, August 21, 2009

A New Day

I've stood in this line many times. Today was different. This is the last time I will manuever my way through the school cafeteria for back-to-school registration.

I thought back to the first registration at D'School. The year was 1994, D'School's first year of existence. Created as a Junior/Senior High School, it began with 3 grades. Christina started her 8th grade year at this brand new school.

The building itself was not new. In fact, a friend of mine remarked that she attended junior high school at this very location with fond memories. I was a tad younger then, 32. A mere 20 years earlier and I was in junior high. Standing in line, preparing my oldest for her soon-to-be high school career, I felt much older.

At registration I wasn't asked for my cell phone number or email address. There wasn't a required internet permission slip to sign. I did give consent to allow the school to administer Tylenol if my child needed it. Parking passes were also non-existent. None of the students were old enough to drive. D'School started with grades, 7-9 and added a grade each year.

Today, as I registered Hilary for her senior year of high school, I reflected much. She stood alongside me in 1994 when I signed Christina up for D'School. She was a cute, bouncy 2 year old who knew how to embarrass her big sister. It was in 8th grade that Christina began to wish her 4 younger siblings & mother didn't trail her everywhere she went. Hilary and I stood alone. Actually, I went through the procession alone. Hilary popped in to get her schedule and school I.D., but had to run back out to football practice. I was left watching nervous 7th graders texting friends their schedules and reflecting on the past 15 years at D'School. I even heard talk that next year registration will be completed online. Some parents may never step onto school property.

I miss the day I could walk into the school, dragging my preschoolers behind me, knocking on the classroom door, handing Christina her lunch and then hearing about how I humiliated her for the next 20 years. Have a great senior year, Hilary.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Joanne,
We had a similar experience with Cara's last "open house" for the beginning of her Senior year. Although I will admit, and I will probably feel much more guilt after I post this; I'm so excited to have our last one at this point, its hard to contain myself. Nice to reflect, even better to look at the future for both our daughters and ourselves. WOOO HOOO !!!

Kristin said...

Oh, I have a boy starting high school this year, too. I was just remembering when we registered our oldest for JUNIOR high and now our 2nd boy is in HIGH SCHOOL. Sigh.