Friday, January 29, 2010

Trying To Find My Place In This World

I've been perusing food blogs and man, do I feel inadequate. I'm left standing here wanting to grab a bag of flaming hot cheetos and calling it lunch. But I'm also inspired to do more. I can't compare my cooking to that of others. It is futile. Instead, I must do what works for me and my family. Translated to mean, cooking gluten free or according to whatever special dietary needs arrive at my doorstep.

I doubt I'll ever be a world traveler, sampling exotic foods. I won't be going to fancy shmancy restaurants to entice my taste buds with enchanting new delicacies. It isn't happening. So I can't be expected to have a clue about such culinary delights. (Remember that when dining at my home.)

Instead, I will be as creative as I can, providing comforting food to meet nutritional needs-hopefully in a tasty fashion. But more important than the food, I cook for the soul. Food has a way of bringing family and friends together. Good conversation. Laughter, connections, provoking thoughts, curious questions. At the dinner table, we are filled and satisfied in so many ways.

2 comments:

Mommas Soapbox said...

I think you are right! Food does bring us all together. Everytime we have a gathering the first thing we do is plan the MENU.

And dinner table at night with the family is one of my favorite times.

Love your blog

Kristin said...

I get a little twinge when I watch the Food Network (but mostly just get hungry.) Ah well, I'm not a cook and I hate to cook and that's that!