Saturday, November 10, 2012

An Old Friend Or Foe

Sin is tricky.  He is a master of disguise.  He parades around as a fond memory or loving friend. It isn't long before sin's true identity emerges.  He is no friend or comforter. He causes pain and sorrow. I avoid him whenever possible.  Sin is sneaky and pops in when  I'm feeling my weakest, and least prepared to meet with him.

His name appears on the caller I.D.  I reject the call.  Last week, I picked up the phone before checking to see who it was.  He started in with his spiel.  He said, "it is imperative that you sign up for what I'm selling." I politely decline, so he puts his partner Past Regrets on the line.  He asks me to join his mailing list so he can send me personal past regrets.  I shout loudly, "Get out of here you sad, sad man.  I want beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness.  I don't want anymore of your grief!"  I slam the phone down.

At times when I'm tired, I don't recognize his number.  I answer.  He convinces me that what he's offering is what I need right now.  After we've commiserated way too long,  I politely hang up.  The call haunts me for a long time afterward.

Yesterday, out-of-nowhere, sin came calling.  Before I realized who was at the door, I opened my heart to him.  He approached.  We embraced.  A strange comfort washed over me.  His grip was firm, yet loving.    I felt like I needed him, but was afraid to trust him. Quietly I whispered, "you can have your way with me, but please don't take all day."   I relinquished control.

In our time together, he reminded me of missed opportunities that were now dead.  I longed for them, but knew my desire could not bring them back to life.  I wanted to remember the joy and love I once had, but it only brought anger and confusion.  Just when I was about to lash out at sin, I realized we were out of time. I had an appointment and dashed out the door, leaving sin alone.

In his absence I recognize how easily I become entangled with him.  The more time I spend with sin, the more I can't break free from his clutches. If I'm not careful, he will set up permanent residence in my heart.  Why does he show up so unexpectedly? I could deal with him easier if he'd call ahead to let me know what time he was coming.  I wouldn't answer the door.

Later in the day, I'd almost forgotten our earlier rendezvous. The doorbell rang. I flung open the door, and there stood my foe. I felt stronger, but because I'd spent so much time with him earlier, I hesitated just a moment before slamming the door. Before I could shut him out, he wedged his foot in the door. I pushed against it with all of my might, but could not get him out. All I could think about was Lot's wife. As she was about to be delivered from the evils of Sodom and Gomorrah, she almost escaped with her life. Instead, she lingered only a moment. She glanced back to see what she was leaving behind. Lot's wife became a pillar of salt.

Feeling helpless and hopeless, I cry out to my Savior.  Immediately He appears.  The door slams shut.  With tears of repentance, I fall into His waiting arms.  The love I feel is immeasurable.  He doesn't say a word.  He doesn't need to.  I know.

Why do I wait so long to ask for His help?  Why do I battle with sin on my own?  He is the only one who has ever had victory over sin.  He is the one I need.

Truthfully,
Joanne 

''Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto those who look for Him shall He appear the second time without sin, unto salvation."

No comments: