Sunday, January 26, 2014

Happy Birthday Laurie!


Remember Halloween in 1969? Mom made us martian costumes with pointed hats and polka dots.  Mine was green, yours was pink. You wanted to be a ballerina because most of the girls in your class dressed up as ballerinas.  Somewhere, there is a picture of us together dressed as martians. The pink polka dotted one is pointing her toys, posed as a ballerina.

Remember when you told me I had a mustache?

Do you remember riding in the station wagon with mom when we were little?  We'd put our flip flops (which were called thongs) on the floor, upside down, and pretend they were gas pedals. We shared so we could take turns having 3 each: one for the gas, one for the brake, and one for the clutch.  We were sure that if anything ever happened to mom while driving that we could take over and drive the car  for her.

Do you remember pillow presents? Sometimes we made scavenger hunts, sometimes just little treats or notes to each other.  I remember mostly getting homemade tamales tucked under my pillow but I don't remember eating them.  Did we?

Remember laying in bed tickling each others feet to see who would laugh first?

Do you remember sharing a bedroom and sometimes we fought? We'd try to divide the room up, but usually by the end of the day, we were friends again.

Remember taping Starsky and Hutch on cassette tape, then interviewing each other and using audio clips from the television show for the answers?  You thought Starsky was so cute and I liked Hutch. Whatever happened to those tapes?

Do you remember I had a pet water balloon?  It was sort of like having a pet rock, someone to talk to when you felt like you didn't have any friends.  I made a little bed for it and drew a face on it, but never told anyone.  One day I shared it with you and you laughed and wanted to pop it.  Later you told me you were sorry and said you'd never make fun of me again.

Remember when you told me I had a mustache, and laughed?

I have so many fond memories.  More recently they are the ones where you've had layovers in Denver or when I've been in Arizona and we've sat by your firepit and as we've always done, talked for hours and hours.
Let's keep making memories, maybe New York for the next one?
Happy 50th Birthday, Laurie!



No comments: