Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Blessings, Benefits, Challenges, Changes

As 2014 closes,I reflect with a thankful heart. So many changes, so many challenges, yet blessings and benefits abound. Through it all, I blogged only 39 times in 365 days.

In February, Blessing #1-Josiah,
 our 3rd grandchild was born.

In March, on my birthday, I became sick. I ended up with pneumonia. It lasted weeks. I don't recall a time where I was ever so sick that I could not keep going. I am the mom. I can take care of anything. This time, I could not. Blessing #2-family who picked up the slack, and ordered dinner out.

Blessing #3-In April, I spent 9 days in New Orleans with Ivydee. It was an interesting trip. I've never lived next door to a frat house before. Once in the middle of the night, the noise level was so bad, I peeked through the blinds to see just what was going on. I wish I could have video taped what I saw and sent it to the parents of these "kids" to show how their college funds were being spent.

I slept in the living room on an air mattress. Nearly every morning I was greeted by this girl:
She likes sleeping on cushiony soft air mattresses too. She is sweet and very protective over her lil' sister.We took daily walks through the streets of New Orleans.

What a blessing to have 9 full days with my granddog and granddaughter, and watching my son as a loving, doting dad.
Blessing #4-I began caring for these guys, 2 full days a week.In order to do it, Michael had to take over at home, which included managing meals for his mother and driving her to appointments. This was a big change.
I was doubly blessed to be an active part of caring for my grandsons.
 

Blessings #5 & #6- Two graduations on the same day. Sarabeth graduated from Metro State University,
while we were in New Orleans attending Christopher's graduation from Tulane Law School.
My parents, Hilary, and Lauren's dad were there too. Jambalaya, jazz music,


and our own crawfish boil. New Orleans is a fun, unique place to experience. We are blessed!

Blessings #7 & #8-two weddings, one in June, the other in August.

 That means we added two precious sons-in-law to our family.
Blessing #9 was the announcement that we were having another grandson. I cannot wait to meet this little guy.
Sometime after the graduations, between weddings, babies, and all things wonderful, I had a bicycle accident. My world was turned upside down, sideways, and felt like I was spinning on a merry-go-round about to fall off. Life didn't make sense. I slept for hours each night and day. I realized my brain could not function well when I was awake, so I slept each afternoon when I could take no more.

Blessing #10, I had the faith and assurance from God that I would be healed. I didn't know how long it would take or when it would be complete, but I trusted in the One who created me.

I felt vulnerable, scared, and didn't recognize myself. I had to let go of my responsibilities and let others take over. I missed being there for Ethan and Josiah. I pretended that everything was fine. I fooled a lot of people, some I didn't. I am sorry to my family and friends, when I caused you to worry whether I would return to "normal."

While I was healing, life continued. I experienced many more challenges and changes. Mostly I kept quiet. I didn't trust what I might say. I tried to blog, but couldn't post what I wrote.

Thanksgiving Day I grilled Salmon. Christmas Eve we strayed from our usual traditions. The view was gorgeous on the 22nd floor of our downtown hotel. We celebrated Michael's birthday in style-just the two of us, in spite of having the flu and a raging fever.

As I close this door, I say goodbye to the challenges of 2014 while holding tightly to its blessings. I step towards 2015, ready to embrace new changes, new blessings and new challenges.

Truthfully,
Joanne

"Blessed be the Lord, Who daily loads us with benefits, The God of our salvation!" (Ps. 68:19)

3 comments:

Lauren said...

I love you, Joanne!

Elisabeth said...

The biggest blessing of all is that you're okay. That was a very scary time and I am so thankful God had his healing hand on you.
Hopefully 2015 will bring more blogging, 39 times is not nearly enough. I LOVE YOU

Truth said...

Thanks, love you guys!