Friday, February 13, 2015

Conversations

The conversation began over feelings of discouragement. My daughter wanted to be more positive, but was discouraged that life wasn't going in the direction she had hoped and planned. She expressed her desire to be grateful, but waiting was hard. What if life takes a turn and her dreams never become reality?

I shared that I understood, but even when setbacks happen, it didn't mean she wouldn't attain her goals. I remind her that when her grandparents married, they were told they most likely would never have children. It was not my mother's goal to have her first child at the age of 19. Nor did she plan to have 4 children in 4 1/2 years.  I expressed thanks that my mom's plans were interrupted by those pregnancies. Had they waited 5 years to have children, I wouldn't be here, and neither would she. These setbacks did not stop my mother. She not only raised 4 children, but pursued and fulfilled her dreams and desires. She has never slowed down. Her life just became fuller and richer.

I thought about Abraham and Sarah from the bible. God promised them a child, but the waiting was hard. Had God told them exactly how long it would be before they received their Isaac, would it have been easier for them to wait patiently?

I admitted to my girl, that it is sometimes hard to have faith and to trust God. I reminded her that God is good. If we ask for a fish, He isn't going to give us a stone.

She replied, "No, He won't give us a stone, but He might give us kale. And while kale is certainly good for you, it really is awful."

It was hard to respond to that.

Truthfully,

Joanne

"So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.  If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone?" (Luke 11:9-11)

No comments: