Saturday, July 11, 2015

Fifty Puzzle Pieces

Sometimes I have grand ideas. I'm guilty of buying cards for others, but never sending them. In fact, I have several Father's Day cards sitting on my counter that were intended for my son, sons-in-law who are fathers, and my dad. I wish I believed the adage, "it's the thought that counts," as then it wouldn't matter if they were ever sent or not. Sometimes we have to do more than just think about being nice, we have to BE nice.

I looked at my neglected blog and noticed under the fifty label I had 14 posts. I pulled out my notebook where I began writing my fifty and today, in honor of my son's birthday, will share a fifty.

Dear Christopher,
Twenty-seven years, (it's actually 31, but this was written 4 years ago,)where has the time gone? Looking back I remember a little boy who was 2, playing with his big sister. I smiled to see my children playing together. I watched you share with her as you held out the rope swing to her, "Here Chrisnina." As she reached for it, you snatched it back just out of her grasp, doubled over laughing. "Here, here, come get it!" I knew right then and there that you had a wonderful sense of humor, a love of fun and pranks, and also that boys are very different than girls.

You loved sports. You played hard. You were friendly, yet extremely competitive, striving to always win. You maintained a sense of fairness and good sportsmanship at all times.

You enjoyed riddles, figuring things out, and winning math competitions. You've always had a tender side, from the little boy who prayer for his mom when she was sick, to the young man who wasn't afraid to hug his mom in public, to the grown man who desires justice and a defender of the weak.

I'm proud of the man and husband you are. You walk with Lauren as a partner and friend, not ahead of her or behind but united as one. I am so happy you have each other. Together you are strong and will accomplish much in this life.

It wasn't included in the original letter, but now that it is 4 years later, I can also include what a wonderful, caring father you are. I love watching you parent Ivydee, teaching her, learning from her, and guiding her. Your love for your family portrays the love of the Father and your children will be blessed because of your gentle parenting.

I love you Christopher! Happy 31st birthday.


2 comments: