Friday, November 06, 2015

Such A Mystery

I was up late last night, no particular reason. It rained a lot. There was thunder and lightning. When it grew quiet, I peeked out the shutters to check if the rain had turned to snow. Rain and drizzle continued.

Just after midnight, I headed to bed. I opened the shutters one last time. Pressing my face against the glass, I searched for a hint of snow on the grass. I noticed a car driving very slowing through the cul-de-sac. I watched as it pulled in front of my neighbors driveway and stopped. Except for one 13 year old boy, there are no teens living on our block. I was quite certain the car didn't come for a visit. The car wasn't parked. It seemed perched just behind several trash cans, still running and with the lights on. Was this car about to smash into the cans?

I closed the shutters and stepped out on the front porch to further investigate. It was quite chilly outside with just a hint of snow, but I didn't care. I was determined to find out what was going on with this unfamiliar vehicle. The car began slowly moving. It drove past that house and around the corner. Shivering, I went back inside.

I was puzzled. Who would be driving through our neighborhood on a Wednesday night, after midnight? I caught a glimpse of light, so back to the window I went. There was the same car coming down the street again. I was certain the car could see me peering out, as I stood with the shutters open once again.  It was quite dark out and when the shutters are open, the light streams out into the darkness.

The car stopped directly in front of my house, with its headlights beaming in my direction. I thought maybe it was parking and waited for the headlamps to go out. They didn't. It felt as if we were having a stare down. For 20 seconds or more, I stared at the car. The car headlights stared back at me. Because of the way the lights were shining I could not quite make out the car and certainly not who was inside. Feeling like I might lose the staring contest, I backed down and shut the shutters.

Quickly, I went to a darker room where I could look out unnoticed. Once again, the car slowly began to drive around the cul-de-sac and up around the corner. I wasn't overly concerned or afraid, but the boldness of the car and the time of night did make me a little uneasy. I decided to stay up a little longer in case the car came back.

If it did, I missed it. I checked out the window several more times, but never saw it. Could I have angered them by staring them down? Had the car parked around the corner and someone came back on foot? I could not think of a logical reason why the car had eerily driven the way it did through our neighborhood nor its purpose in being there.

An unsolved mystery for now.

Truthfully,
Joanne

"For the mystery of lawlessness is already working. Only He who is now restraining him will do so until He is taken out of the way." (2 Thes. 2:7)

No comments: