Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine's Part One

For a week I've wrestled with what to write for "Valentine's Day." Do I honor my dear sweetie in all his glorious romance? There are so many thoughts and emotions associated with this celebration. I've cursed it, romantically dreamt about it, planned for it, and anticipated with great excitement all this day might hold. I have much to say about this whole affair, far too much for one day's post.

A heads up for the men: Don't invite your sweetheart to lunch at the mall on Valentine's Day. It doesn't matter that you had your heart set on a gyro sandwich that you can't get anywhere else. If you do this, on the way home your sweetie will not be thanking you for the thoughtfulness in taking her to lunch. She will be distracted. She will be confused. When you mentioned the mall, she thought somehow all of her subtle and not-so-subtle hints about those cute earings penetrated your thoughts. She will imagine that you have decided to be totally out of character extravagant. (Yes, she did say that "she" would never spend that much on a pair of earrings, but has no problem with "you" spending that much.) When you exit right after eating something will be amiss. You will no longer look like the loving husband taking his darling out for lunch. You are now that guy who still believes his wife when she says things she really doesn't mean. (If you are really confused, you need to read this post by WonderWoman entitled "I heart you."

That's what I mean about Valentine's Day. Too often it can set a heart up for hurt and disappointment.

The school is a place that notoriously sets up the beginnings of Valentine heartbreaks. In Elementary school notes are sent home that if a child brings Valentine cards they must bring one for each student. But does anyone really check? Did you ever get a "Teacher" card from another student and realize he or she didn't actually hand-pick a valentine for you? Or did you receive a Valentine with someone else's name on it? Have another child walk by sneering, "I didn't get one for you," or worse, "I gave candy to everyone but you."

I have tried to be sensitive to my children on this day. I've spent time, money, emotion, prayers, and tears in trying to do something to make them feel lavishly loved. If they go to school after feeling extravagantly loved, any ill-shot cupid arrows won't penetrate their little puffed up hearts. Sadly, I haven't always been successful.

(Continued tomorrow, after Ethan's dental work which he will have to be put under general anesthesia.)

2 comments:

Heth said...

Isn't it something how our own expecatations can cause us to be disappointed. I totally know what you mean....

Valentine's day is great and everything, but I'll take my chocolate all year round please.

(Bummer about the lunch at the mall thing!)

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean in this post. I've done the same thing, many times, setting myself up for disappointment.

I think in school all the kids really care about is candy...but then again, Owen was really careful to give the girls "girlie" Star Wars valentines LOL :) Now that you mention it, I do remember double checking to make sure there wasn't a "teacher" card mixed in there. I don't think they came with teacher cards this year.

One really good thing about my son's teacher is that she had the kids open their Valentines at home, so that meant they didn't have the chance to snarf down all that candy at school.

Chocolate all year round...most definitely!