Sunday, August 06, 2006

True Story

In case anyone was wondering, the previous two posts are true stories that happened 30 years ago. The girl was left wanting to be clean and whole, but also desperate for someone to love her and find worth in her. Unfortunately those two desires seemed to conflict with each other. The more she did to try to obtain love, the more unlovely she felt, the more broken and hurt she became. It created a downward spiral in her life for 8 years. By the time she was 22, she was married to her 2nd husband and expecting her 2nd child.

She'd attempted to pray but found the door to heaven tightly shut. (She didn't realize that in order to open that door she had to go through with Jesus.) She went to her former pastor. He didn't seem to have a clue how to help. His answer was for the girl to think of a book in the bible. (She wished that somewhere along the way she'd memorized the books of the bible, because outside of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, she couldn't think of any other books.) She blurted one of them out and picked out a number. Together they read the passage of scripture, but none of it seemed to apply. The pastor was looking in the right direction, but had nothing real to offer her.

She went to see another pastor to confess all of her sins, hoping to find forgiveness. Again, she went away empty. She tried to read her bible, but everything seemed a blur. The girl was losing hope fast. She visited several churches. In one, they pinned a giant ribbon on her dress with the word VISITOR printed on it. She felt like a prize at the county fair. At least she couldn't blend in that day. During the service she blushed when all of the visitors were told to stand so everyone could see them and greet them after the service. When it was all over, she sat in the car with her almost 3 year old. Tears ran down her face. She couldn't believe nobody, not 1 single person had introduced themselves or even said hello. She was ashamed. She knew why they didn't talk to her. They thought she was an unwed mother and pregnant again. They knew her shame and nobody wanted to be around her.

But this story has a happy ending. The girl ventured out one last time. She visited one more church. The people were very friendly. Towards the beginning of the service, the Pastor instructed everyone to greet those around them. Feeling very awkward, the girl just stood there, until she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned around and a boisterous woman grabbed her and hugged her tightly to her chest. She didn't let go right away. She hugged her longer. Finally she pulled back. "Hi, I'm Carol! I am so happy to meet you. I am so glad you are here, and aren't you the most beautiful pregnant lady I've ever seen." After the service, the two exchanged phone numbers. Carol invited her over for coffee. Within the month, not only were the two good friends, but Carol shared with her the secret to feeling clean again, how much she was loved and the answer to her loneliness. She explained the simplicity of the gospel message and I was born again.

I was given a new identity. The slate was wiped clean. I was no longer bound to the shame of the past or desperate for love. I became a beloved daughter. I am a partner with Jesus and nothing can separate me from His love. Twenty-two years later, He still loves me. He still amazes me beyond words. Our relationship has taken some adventurous twists and turns. I learn new things about God all of the time. The relationship grows the way all relationships do, by spending time with one another. I enjoy sharing the secrets and desires in my heart, my burdens and cares. I've learned to listen to Him share the same. And the funny part? The more I let Him get to know me, He still loves me the same. The more I know about Him, the more I love Him.

9 comments:

Carolanne said...

I'm glad that someone made you feel loved and special.
I'm sad that a pastor couldn't offer you hope and couldn't share Christ with you.
I'm glad that God had His hand on you then and still does today.
Thank you for sharing. I feel privileged to have read something so personal and real.
I know God will continue to walk with you!

Melanie said...

What a journey! Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry you had to go through such tough things. It seems as if you've been refined by fire. (((HUGS)))

Heth said...

Thanks for sharing your story Joanne. What a tough road you have been down! I'm so glad the Lord brought Carol across your path.

Heidi said...

What an amazing testimony, you are so brave to have shared it here.
Blessings,
Heidi

Anonymous said...

Oh I know that feeling all too well. I would have loved to read something like that when I felt so alone and so far removed from "church" people. I felt like they could never really like me if they knew me.

What an amazing encouragement. You may never know what lives your story touches.

Even if it's not a troubled girl. Maybe it will be the lady in church who is a little too shy to reach out to a visitor but will push past her own discomfort next time.

mrssaf said...

What an amazing journey the Lord allows for us to finally find Him. I am always awed by His incredible love and His incredible cleansing power. There is NO greater feeling than that of pure forgiveness and freedom is there?
Incredible testimony!

Blessings
Colleen

Dubawnt said...

(((joanne))) what a powerful testimony. you are quite courageous to have shared it. i am so grateful you were able to find release from your burden in Christ! His forgiveness and grace truly are unimaginable. God bless.

~elizabeth

Kim from Hiraeth said...

Hello, JoAnne,

Wow! These were the first three posts I've read on your blog!

I ached for that little girl as I read. I found myself praying that someone would reach her and she would find hope and love in Christ.

I am so happy that this true story had a happy ending.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.

I'm glad I stopped here this morning!

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Your story was very sad, especially because I fear it is not an unusual story. How glad I am that you encountered Carol.

What happened to you was horrible, but I am left feeling that the most disturbing part of your story is the vicar who damned a bunch of confirmands to hell...what on earth!? And then when you sought help from another pastor he could not tell you the simple good news that God loves you and Jesus will free you from your past.

THAT is distressing! God, help us to do better when hurting people come looking for you.

((((((TRUTH)))))))))))

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I left a comment there.