Saturday, January 26, 2008

Phones

I have a phone that sits beside my bed, but I'm not sure why. A couple of years ago, I turned the ringer off. It was summer, and I was tired of it ringing after I'd gone to bed. I didn't want it to startle me out of my Saturday morning sleeping in sessions either. Truthfully, the handset doesn't even work. The caller ID does. But the glowing light that comes on is not enough to awaken me from my sleep. Why do I keep it there? I figure if it rings and I need to answer it quickly, the speaker phone does work. I could answer it.

On Wednesday, I was up as usual making lunches. The phone rang. It was 6:12 a.m. Nobody calls that early. The caller ID said the name of the closest hospital. It was my mother-in-law. Michael's dad had been taken by ambulance to the hospital at 5:00a.m. He'd had a heart attack. I told her Michael would be there right away.

After hanging up, I scrolled through the caller ID. Sure enough. There were 2 calls just before 5, and a message blinking on the machine. A lot of good that phone in the bedroom does.

The sad part? My father-in-law asked us last week if we had a phone in our bedroom, "just in case" he needed to call in the middle of the night. I assured him we did. I mentally made a note that I should turn on the ringer. Afterall, my teens no longer receive late night calls. Well, actually they do. But nobody calls the house anymore. Everyone has a cell phone. But I forgot.

The ringer is on now. My father-in-law is doing better. His heart attack was mild, and he should be coming home today. Unlike my kids, I am not keeping my cell phone beside my bed. Text messages startle me out of sleep too.

9 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh, my! Glad he's doing okay.

PJ said...

So glad he's better. We have that problem too. The bedroom phone doesn't wake us. The kids are grown. Chances of late night calls are slim. Hmmmm. Maybe I'd better think about it.

Melany aka Supermom said...

Oh no. So sorry to hear about your Father-in-Law. I don't have a phone in my room either. And mostly don't even know where my cell is.

Ann said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry that happened,and I'm glad your father-in-law is doing better!

Ann said...

By the way,Joanne, I just tagged you for a meme! Heehee! Have fun!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad he is okay and I hope he is at home by now.

His Girl said...

*reaches over and switches the 'on' switch on the phone next to the bed*

Anonymous said...

Prayers for a speedy recovery for your FIL.

Dot

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your father-in-law is okay! Saying a prayer for him! :o)

I think I have the same phone! I keep the ringer turned off too! EEP!