Thursday, April 17, 2008

Follow It I Did

On March 12 (I remember because it was the day before my birthday,) I came down with a cold/virus. Then came a sinus infection, fluid in my ears, & it has been ugly. At least I didn't end up with pneumonia & an ear infection like Hilary. Nor did I run down the stairs, roll my ankle, & tear ligaments in my foot as Sarabeth did. But I have spent more time on the computer. Which my Dr. says explains is why I am now experiencing tennis elbow and shoulder pain. (Why do they still call it tennis elbow? I don't play tennis. Computer Elbow? Mouse Elbow?) Technically, tendonitis.

All of that to say, I am extremely fatigued at the end of the day and it is why my recipe blog has not been updated much. I do cook, but I can't remember to take pics. I barely throw it on the table. Before cooking something new, I like to see what a dish looks like, before I take the plunge. This is especially true when it comes to baking. I'm a baking failure as you probably know.

Last Thursday, my inlaws were coming to dinner. No brownies or cookies in sight, so I went looking for an easy-to-prepare dessert. One in which I already possessed the ingredients. I was so excited when I found this Apple Brown Betty at the Pioneer Cooks site. The Pioneer Woman is famous for taking an abundance of photos, while preparing food. This recipe had 4 ingredients: Apples, Bread, Brown Sugar, & Butter. Simple. I can do this. I can follow a recipe.

And follow the recipe I did, with just one teensy addition. Cinnamon. One cannot make an apple dessert without it. It was a hit! We topped it off with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, as it was a little bit dry. But that was to be expected. I just could not bring myself to using 3/4 cup of butter. That equals about 2 TBS a person. So I cut back on the butter, but otherwise, I followed the recipe...almost.


Michael declared that there was no way I actually followed the recipe exactly. Why do I try to argue? In my mind, I DID follow the directions. Well, I didn't have Granny Smith apples and used Jazz Apples instead. Apples are apples. I'd never buy mushy sweet ones anyway. So I used different apples, a little less butter, and added cinnamon to the 4 ingredient dish. Oops, did I say 4? That is what the Pioneer Woman starts with, but at the end, she tells you to sprinkle 3-4 TBS of water over the top. I added maybe 1 TBS. I was afraid the bread might get soggy, although I'm not sure why, as I added 2 extra slices of bread. !?!? Did I really just say that?


Okay. I don't follow recipes. Ever. Not even simple 4, err...5 ingredient recipes. I just can't. That is why I don't like baking. With cooking, there is grace. Baking is not so forgiving.

6 comments:

Mylinda said...

I'm so happy the recipe came out so well! Yeah!! I can't believe you messed with a baking recipe and it came out so well. I much prefer baking to cooking, and yet I still follow baking recipes almost exactly. So, good for you! I'm proud of you. :-)

PJ said...

Isn't that the truth...cooking is simple; baking not so forgiving! I'm much better at cooking. Or baking things like bread pudding (Which I just make by throwing in whatever I feel like) or rice pudding or even apple crisp. But if it has to rise, I'm probably doomed because I don't think I've EVER followed a recipe!!!
Glad yous came out so well.

Anonymous said...

Heehee, I heard Yoda's voice when I read your title, "Follow it I did...mhhhmmm mmhmmm" (Never mind that if you're not familiar with Yoda. It's okay.)

That dessert sounds really good! I'm a baking failure too, but isn't it fun experimenting with food and having your family be the guinea pigs? I love it!

Kellan said...

That recipe sounds easy and delicious - glad it turned out for you even if you "didn't follow it exactly"!

Have a good evening - see you soon - Kellan

Kristin said...

Oh, I didn't realize you did a recipe blog. Wow, I have TOO many blogging friends who are great cooks. I HATE cooking -- but since I have no choice, I do appreciate easy, good recipes. (I still have to follow them, though.)

His Girl said...

With cooking, there is grace. Baking is not so forgiving.

I never heard that put in words before, but I feel the same way!!!