Thursday, April 17, 2008

Get A Life

When I was 17, I had ovarian surgery. The doctor told me I would probably never have children, but if I did, my best chance would be to have them ASAP. I cried. Often. The only thing I ever wanted in life was to be a mom, not to one or two. I wanted a home filled with children. How could this be happening to me? Didn't God realize this was the only thing important to me?

I was sad. I was angry. But deep in my heart, I held a little flicker of hope. I reminded myself that my own mom had been told she'd never have children. She'd had a similar surgery. She welcomed her firstborn 11 days after her 19th birthday. Her 4th child arrived before she turned 24. (Do the math. That's 4 kids in 4 1/2 years.) Two months after her last birth, mom had a complete hysterectomy. I'm thankful to be here. If my mom hadn't been told she couldn't conceive, she'd have waited to have children. I wouldn't be sitting at this computer.

Eighteen months after my surgery, in the summer of 1980, I became pregnant. I wish I could say I was overjoyed. Instead, my insides churned with a jumble of emotions. I was elated to be having a child, but at age 18 I wasn't married. Telling my parents would not be pleasant. They weren't particularly fond of the guy I was dating.

With visions of becoming a mom dancing in my head, and the hope of having more children in my heart, I entered into marriage. I pushed aside my doubts and fears. I'd love this man, I'd love my child. Life would be good.

I should have listened when two days before we wed, Randy told me we'd be divorced some day. He said it so nonchanlantly.

I remember leaving my parents' home to spend the first night with my new husband. I fought back the tears. When I awoke in the morning, nobody would be there but him. My sister wouldn't be there. Gone were the late night chat sessions & the early morning scuffles over who would be first to use the bathroom. Dad wouldn't be scraping his burned toast over the trash can the next morning. I wouldn't smell the peanut butter he'd spread over the top. Mom's pile of school books would not be on the breakfast table, nor would I see her making hot tea or hear her tea kettle whistle. On the short drive to our apartment, loneliness nestled in to make her home in my heart.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a lot to cope with at that age. And look where you are now. Good for you

His Girl said...

*sigh* what a story....
assuming there is more coming, and I can't wait to see how God works this together for good!

Anonymous said...

Oh! Keep going! Keep going!

Melanie said...

Waiting to hear more.

Anonymous said...

Goodness, Joanne. You have me so intrigued. You are a compelling writer and I can't wait to find out what happens next. I can truly feel how lonely you were.

Kristin said...

Now I know this story does not have a sad ending . . . hoping you tell us the rest. My Mom couldn't get pregnant the first few years after she got married and they were really convinced that they may be infertile and were even looking into adoption. Of course, then I came along -- and 7 more after me!

Jenni said...

Oh Joanne...I'm all teary for that girl you used to be, facing such an uncertain future!

Waiting and wanting to hear more...

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh, this broke my heart.