Sunday, April 20, 2008

Get A Life 2

As a new wife, I couldn't wait to show off my culinary skills. I opened the refrigerator to find 2 bottles of beer and a pizza box containing 1 dried up, shriveled slice of pizza. The cupboards were bare. What in the world would I cook?

My pregnancy brought about a craving for cheeseburgers. I could eat them every single day. So that would be my first home cooked meal. The man of the house was off to work. When he arrived home, he'd find his wife in the kitchen, preparing a delicious, homecooked meal of burgers. Yes, that would be nice.

Before he'd left for work, he gave me $20 for groceries that week. I was so excited to be doing my own shopping and meal planning. It wasn't on paper, but in my head I had the meals worked out. I snatched the money off of the counter. This was exciting: my first grocery shopping adventure as a married woman.

I went straight to the meat department and picked out a nice 1 lb. package of ground beef. That would make 4 large patties. Without stopping to look for other meat, I skipped to the bakery for a package of buns. Oh, I needed cheese slices; on to the dairy section. Mmmmm....the cartons of milk caught my attention. A tall, ice cold glass of milk and some chocolate chip cookies would make a fine dessert.

Let's see, I needed ketchup & mustard. I had to have onions. Pickles, wow is that the smallest jar they had? Mayonnaise would be nice to have, lettuce too. My mouth was watering, just thinking about how good these burgers would be. Now for the cookies: flour, sugar, eggs...how in the world could I buy all of this stuff? I didn't have enough money to cook one meal, let alone make it last all week. What about breakfast and lunch?

Slowly, I pushed my cart up and down the aisles. I placed the items back on their proper shelves. I left the store with a carton of milk, a loaf of bread, eggs, and margarine. Once home, I tried my best to load it in the refrigerator so it looked like lots of food. I didn't normally put bread in there, but I wanted something on each shelf.

For dinner I had a 29 cent cheeseburger from McDonald's. He had 3 and 1 order of french fries. The cost was just under $2.00. How would I ever be a good cook, a good wife, and a good mother? I wondered how my parents ever managed to have their cupboards stocked with so many things.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a hard first lesson in homemaking, budgeting, shopping, everything.

It makes me teary-eyed, thinking how naive you were, but trying to be so grown-up and responsible.

~Tammy~ said...

I remember those days! Only too well.

Melanie said...

I remember those first grocery trips costing a lot while trying to get a pantry and fridge stocked with things.

Kellan said...

This is common, in the beginning - isn't it? Nice to have full cupboards!

Have a good afternoon - see you soon - Kellan

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

When I was first married, we went to the grocery store together. I would put things in the cart, and he would promptly take them out. We laugh about it now, but it so frustrated me then! thanks for your comments on my post about blogs today. I don't think I can change my background. I've asked my designed a couple of questions since the new design, but I have not received a reply. But I apreciate your honesty.

Anonymous said...

As I read this I felt so sorry for you, picturing you in the store like that, having to put those groceries back. I can't wait to hear more!

Heth said...

This was so sweet Joanne!