Sunday, May 04, 2008

Reach Out To Touch Someone

I was late to church this morning, so sat in the back. At one point, we turn and greet those around us. I looked around. A couple with a small boy standing between them sat a row behind me and over several seats. I shook the father's hand first, then greeted the mom. The boy was looking down, so I bent over, placed my hand on his shoulder and said, "hey buddy, how are you today."

As he looked up at me, I noticed he had Down Syndrome. Without thinking, I swiped my hand across his face, wiping most of the drool dripping down his chin. The same way I've done with Ethan so many times. And just as quickly, I dried my hand on the side of my skirt. With Ethan, I am usually wearing a pair of absorbant jeans when I decide to whisk saliva into my hand. This skirt was not cotton. I stroked his hair, smiled and turned to greet the next person. But when I sat down, I was horrified.

Was it a faux pas to wipe drool off of someone else's child? Did I embarrass the parents? Except for when they were babies, I've never had a child that drooled. (A wet pillow doesn't count.) I imagined being back in church when my children were little. In the middle of greeting, an older lady pulls a wrinkled tissue from her purse and says, "here honey, let me get that big booger" and then proceedes to wipe my child's nose. No this didn't happen, but I would have been horrified. I would have thought the lady figured I didn't take the time, or didn't notice my young child needed to wipe her nose. I would be embarrassed.

I truly hope I did not embarrass these parents. It was not my intention. I hadn't even noticed the drool until he looked up. My movements were automatic, not something I thought about. Shudder. Anyone have any thoughts?

9 comments:

~Tammy~ said...

I think you may be beating yourself up over something that the parents never gave a second thought to.

I have an incident at church story to share... Ha! Guess I can go post it on my blog to embarass the bejeeebers out of my oldest DS!

PJ said...

I'm guessing, the way you describe it, the parent was gratified that you reacted as naturally as you did. It seemed normal to you, therefore your movement, reaction was perfectly normal -- probably to them too. As you well know a very natural easy response is the essence of a loving response.

His Girl said...

there's a way that seems right to a man, but the Lord examines the heart.

Kellan said...

I was so touched and I found it so endearing that you would do this for this other woman's child - I would have been happy if you did this for me and my child.

Take care- Kellan

mommy to six J's said...

I think what you did was a beautiufl gesture. Prolaby no one in their lives have ever cared enough to show that kind of commasion, God used you at the very moment. Char

Lori said...

I also was touched. Jackie has Down Syndrome and I know I would not take offense on an action like that. It was a moment of compassion and tenderness. Special needs children have a way of bringing that out of us.

I wouldn't worry about it Joanne. I'm sure his mother took it in a very good way.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the parents could tell you were reacting in a natural way, not patronizing. Who knows what effect your gesture had?

I agree with his girl, above.

FLmom7 said...

I'm not sure how the parents felt, but I think it's perfectly fine. I probably would've done the same thing without a thought.

Kristin said...

It sounds like you just reacted instinctively and in love. Just like a Grandma!