Monday, May 05, 2008

School Project

Hilary had a Spanish project she needed to work on over the weekend. It was one of those group efforts that all parents dread. (Ok, maybe just me.) It requires having the bunch at my house with me supervising, which I don't do well. This often results in one or more kids lingering around because their ride doesn't show. I end up feeding them dinner, then driving them home. Or, as was the case this day, I drive 20 minutes one way to drop my daughter off at another kid's house. She stays a couple of hours, then I pick her up. I lose over an hour and a half out of my weekend driving her around. I should get an 'A for effort.

As I drove Hilary to meet with her 4 male partners, I encouraged her to keep the guys on task. It isn't that I think teen boys goof off...well, yes I do. "Don't let them get distracted by other things. If they do, gently remind them that you really don't have a lot of time. Help them stay focused."

I didn't go to the door with her, just waited until someone answered. After the 20 minute drive home, I began preparing dinner. I hear my phone jingle a text message. It's from Hilary.

"Kyle almost just sliced his thumb off trying to cut this thing for his mom so we are at the emergency room doing our project."

"What???" Was my first response.

I then message her back (why don't I just call???) asking if I should pick her and the other boys up & bring them here to finish the project. Nope. She assures me everything is under control. What, and miss all of the excitement?

I couldn't help but wonder what in the world I would have done if this had been my child who nearly sliced her thumb off. I can't imagine dragging a bunch of teens with me for that trip and having them sit in the waiting area to work on their project.

I then receive a picture message of the bloody wound being cleaned up. Nice.

I text Hilary, "Are you in the room watching Kyle get stitches?" Well, duh. She simply said yes.

Kyle's parent was a much better superviser than I. They did almost finish their project.

4 comments:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

oh my goodness what a story!!

Steph

Kellan said...

Yes, that is some supervising mom to handle all that - WOW! You do get and A for effort, btw - running these kids all over the world is a chore!

Have a good day - Kellan

Anonymous said...

Poor Kyle! I'm sure his mom didn't have time to call the other kids' parents to have them picked up before rushing Kyle to the hospital. I'm glad the kids were able to still work on their project, and I hope Kyle gets to feeling better soon. I laughed when Hilary sent you a picture of Kyle's thumb~I don't know why, it just struck me as funny!

PJ said...

My brain is refusing to wrap around this one!! What a story. And you do get an A for effort taxi-ing kids around the world!! A trophy for Taxi-Mom is appropriate!!!