Wednesday, June 25, 2008

EEG

Today is Sarabeth's birthday. Happy 19th birthday!!!!
But most of my day so far has been spent with this little guy:
Ethan, undergoing a 48 hour EEG.

Checking out his new do.

A few seconds before he began ripping the dressing from his head


As we leave the hospital the first time, Ethan stops to watch the balls in the maze. We drive out of the parking lot just long enough to look back and see that Ethan has pulled out 4 wires. This is going to be a long 48 hours.

With his head wrapped more tightly, and carrying new toys, we leave the hospital a second time.
Three hours later, 4 of us have wrestled with him, re-wrapped his head, re-attached multiple wires, and now he is sleeping.
The tech was amazed at Ethan's strength and pain tolerance. He said the glue they use is similar to super glue and a solvent is used to remove the connectors so as not to remove skin with them. He said sometimes kids pull off wires, but Ethan definitely set a record for the fastest.
I doubt we will make it through 24 hours.

9 comments:

~Tammy~ said...

Good Luck on the EEG, and Happy Birthday, SaraBeth!

I can hardly wait to hear more of your early marriage stories.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Ooooh...I am saying a prayer for you all!

Mylinda said...

Ok, I just have to say that I don't care what anyone says is "wrong" with Ethan, I think he's got the most beautiful smile anywhere! I just love seeing pictures of him because he's almost always smiling, even in the midst of doing something he shouldn't. It's like he's always so happy with life. It's wonderful! Now, I'm sure, like any kid, he's not always happy, but he sure seems to enjoy life. Man, I wish we all could enjoy it like him!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the testing. I hope Ethan does well enough with the wires to get results.

It has to be tough for him.

PJ said...

Praying for you and for Ethan. Wires like that would annoy me too!! Ethan is so sweet-looking. That smile could melt an iceberg! He looks like some adorable little alien critter with the wires. He's charming enough to do his own tv show. Thanks for sharing the photos! Gives me a better visual for prayer.

Melanie said...

Wow! Just the thought of pulling superglue off my skin hurts! I hope the testing goes well.

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday wishes for Sarabeth! :o)

Did Ethan make it through the test?

Anonymous said...

It's so great to hear from you, Joanne. Ethan is such a darling. I'll be waiting to hear how the testing went. Please keep us posted!

Kristin said...

Wow, he's a tough little guy to pull those off -- OUCH! But I'm sure he's annoyed by them, too. Still, I hope you get some answers from the testing!