Tuesday, June 10, 2008

International Text Messaging

Did I mention my daughter, Sarabeth, is currently traveling in England with my mom and dad? My older sister went along as well. Before they left, I added international calling/text messaging to Sarabeth's phone-for emergencies. Phone calls are very expensive from Europe. Text messages aren't too bad, 35 cents to send, 15 cents to receive. But at this rate, considering her average text usage, she could easily reach the 300 dollar mark. No thank-you.

She flew to Arizona with her brother, where she met up with her grandparents. Christopher had come out for her graduation. He lives with my parents. I received a text message from Christopher a few hours before the plane was scheduled to depart for London.

"Please pray for Gramma. She is sick, and isn't sure she can get on a plane right now."

I began praying. The next message I got was from Sarabeth.

"Your sister is so funny. This will be a very entertaining trip."


Hmm...she didn't mention my mom at all. My sister, Carolyn, does like to talk. I wonder what sorts of things she will tell my daughter.

Eventually I get a message, not from Sarabeth, but Christopher assuring me that they boarded the plane. Whew!

I'm thinking I will hear from her at some point. A short text message lettin gme know they have arrived. Nope. Ok, I can accept that. She is being very wise with her text messaging privileges. Smart girl. But when 3 days later I hadn't heard anything, I send her a message asking if she'd made it to London. She sends me a picture text message of where she is and that she is having the time of her life. They were on their way to see "Wicked" at the Apollo Victoria. They'd been to Hampton Court, Westminster Abbey, etc. Wow, what an exciting time! Then out of the blue:

"By-the-way, I heard about your napkin thing." I rack my brain trying to figure out what my daughter means by this. It must be a story from the past my sister or parents have told. But I don't remember any napkin story. What sordid tales are being told??? My curiosity gets the best of me. I text her back, mentally figuring out how many messages it will take to understand and how much it will cost. Normallly, I'd ask a simple "what?" But that tranlates to 15 cents a word. Instead I ask several questions just to get my money's worth. I receive a response.

"Gramma said you used to keep used napkins and you would smell them later and know what you ate."

I have no recollection of this. I try to imagine myself with a stash of wadded paper napkins. Sniff. Ah yes, this one is bean tostadas and rice. Sniff. Mmmm...steak and baked potato.

Seriously. Is this for real? I quit sending text messages. That's enough information exchange for now. I will have to think real hard on this one. Was I a teenager when this took place? A little kid? I have no idea.

The following day I receive another message.

"Pray for your parents they are not in good shape. Papa is on his way to the hospital."


Could she not give just a bit more information than this??? The joys of international text messages.

(P.S. My parents are home and doing well. Sarabeth was home for 2 days and is now off on a cruise somewhere in the Carribean.)

8 comments:

PJ said...

I just love international communication!!! And as a Grandmother, it's great fun to tell tales on your kids to their kids!!! Funny how each individual remembers something different!

PJ said...

Did I mention that I'm envious of all that travel?? What a wonderful time she is having...now a cruise!

Truth said...

PJ, I can't wait to tell my grandkids stories and I'm sure my kids won't remember things the same way, lol.

I am also envious of Sarabeth's travels. I've never been to Europe or on a cruise, but feel very blessed that my kids are getting to experience these things.

Melanie said...

Glad to hear everyone is doing okay.

I'd be wondering about the stories they were telling, too!

Jenni said...

Oh dear! I'm glad your parents were all right in the end. And too funny about the napkins...

Kellan said...

WOW, she lives a pretty darn good life, doesn't she!!? Text messaging can be a blessing and I guess it can also be a problem - HA!

Glad you parents are okay. Take care - Kellan

Lori said...

It is a great way to keep in touch. However, around here I'm grabbing phones away from teens who obviously are addicted to it!

Anonymous said...

I'll have you know that just reading this post gave me several new gray hairs! LOL

Glad everyone is okay!