Thursday, June 12, 2008

Clarification

My dad came through again. (If you remember, dad brought clarification in a previous post.) I received this email after mentioning the napkin story:


"I was checking out your blog and saw your remarks about the napkin story. I can only give you my recollection of it. Here it is from the best of my memory.

We were out to eat at the Black Angus on Broadway in Tempe. You were still in high school and so was Laurie. I believe the conversation took place as we were leaving the restaurant as we were in the parking lot. You were fiddling around pulling what looked like wadded up napkins out of your jacket pocket. Apparently, you only wore that Jacket when you went out to eat somewhere. I asked you what all the wadded up paper was about. You told me that you put your napkin in your jacket pocket whenever you ate out, that way you could pull out a napkin, sniff it, and have a recollection of what you ate and of the evening.


Apparently, it was your way of revisiting a pleasant time. It sounded like something a teenager would do, so we laughed and that was it. I am surprised that you don't recall that. I don't know if you made up that answer on the spur of the moment to cover for why you had all these old napkins, or if you really kept them for the stated purpose. Anyway, it was a good story that we thought should be shared with Sarabeth.

Love, Dad "


I have my own ideas about my intentions. This was way before recycling was popular and I was ahead of my time. It was all about the environment. Instead of wasting a new tissue to blow my nose into, I saved my paper napkin to reuse for that purpose. As a bonus, they were pleasantly scented with savory food smells instead of perfumes-the way toilet paper and tissues were. I wonder how many trees I saved.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just keep telling yourself that. *TeeHee*

PJ said...

Right!! The environmentalist! (Do you remember at all now that they have filled in the story?)

mommy to six J's said...

What a cute story that was nice of you to save all of those trees. Char