Monday, July 14, 2008

Six

Six is such a nice number. A half dozen. Lots of things come in a pack of 6, like soda. And who doesn't think six-pack abs are nice? Six Flags Amusement parks are packed with fun. But the very best thing about the number six happens today. Today is Ethan's 6th birthday. We celebrated yesterday.

I do believe this was his best birthday ever. Ethan blew out his candles for the very first time. (Well, at least 3 of them.) I had no idea he'd acquired this skill.

(This video is only 16 seconds.)

I attempted to order a Transformers cake, but the bakery didn't make any without milk. I could bake my own cake and they agreed to decorate it. Great! Did they have icing without milk? ButterCream wouldn't work, but their non-dairy whipped icing would. Upon further inspection I realized the non-dairy icing contained milk. But the buttercream icing contained no butter. I decided to make it all myself.

Hilary came to the rescue and decorated the cake for me.
Photobucket

Ethan was one excited 6 year old. Transformers ruled the day.
Photobucket

Happy Birthday to my favorite 6 year old!

15 comments:

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Yay for Ethan!

PJ said...

I am so impressed!!! You decorated that yourself??? Transformers, indeed! They rock!

I'd love to hear the update on ethan. (On my profile, the "email" link is private)

I'm hoping to get to Mexico soon. But it doesn't look like it's happening this summer. You never can tell...sometimes things happen quickly and I'd love to get back to Puerto Vallarta. I LOVED doing the booth at the resort!

Melanie said...

Happy birthday, Ethan! WTG on the candle-blowing!

~Tammy~ said...

Happy Birthday, Ethan!!
Great job on the cake... My Chris STILL loves Transformers!

Mylinda said...

Hey! My Indy will be 6 on the 29th! I didn't know he and Ethan were so close in age! Happy Birthday to Ethan! Whoo hoo on candle blowing...now he knows how much fun it is! Boy, that cake is great! Awesome job, Grandma!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Ethan! You are a sweetie. Your grandma's Transformer's cake rocks!

Kristin said...

Darn -- I ruined it, there were 6 comments! LOL. Anyway, great cake -- WOW! And the masks are so funny. It looks like you all had a great celebration. Happy birthday to Ethan!

Anonymous said...

Oh! 6! Happiest of birthdays to Ethan! :o)

Truth said...

I just had to clarify on the cake. My daughter Hilary did the decorating. I had other ideas and was in a crunch, so she offered. I was thrilled and so was Ethan. I think she did a great job.

Lori said...

Happy Birthday Ethan!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Ethan. Good job blowing out the candles. He is progressing so well.

The cake turned out great. Kuddos.

Jenni said...

WONDERFUL cake, and I love your masks! Happy Birthday Ethan!!

A.A.Milne said it best (ahem):

When I was one,
I had just begun.
When I was two,
I was nearly new.
When I was three,
I was hardly me.
When I was four,
I was not much more.
When I was five,
I was just alive.
But now I am six,
I'm as clever as clever.
So I think I'll be six
forever and ever!

Anonymous said...

Just look at him blowing out his candles!!! Happy happy birthday to him

Heth said...

Way, way, way late here. But HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MR. SIX YEAR OLD!

Great job blowing out those candles Ethan. Love the masks.

Emma said...

Awesome job on the candle blowing! Thank you for helping us to realize the simple things in life are worth celebrating just as much as the big things! To be able to blow out your own birthday candles is one of those things to be celebrated! May your journey to seven be full of celebrations...both big and small!