Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Thunk!

Am I the only one who shakes my head in confusion as to why closer attention isn't paid to grammar/spelling/proper English when marketing a product in the United States? I understand that much of what is shipped here, comes from countries where English is not their native language. How difficult would it be to have someone proofread an item?

Or what about a sign that is printed and posted at a business with misspellings? Does the printer not notice the error and ask the purchaser of said item? Having a sign printed costs money, do those buying the item not care if it is printed incorrectly. Did they notice?


I've decided to post photos under my Thunk Awards. Here is the first one:
P.S. Just because this grammar thing on signage is a pet peeve, I do not claim to check my blogposts for spelling/grammar/proper English errors. But if I was selling a product, I'd hire an editor.

8 comments:

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Ditto!

PJ said...

I'm with you on this one!!! Big time!

Kristin said...

Ugh, we have problems like that with the company I Consult for and they are American!

Anonymous said...

I just read your comment on Owlhaven about your worst birthday ever and wanted to say how sad that was!! How horrible....

I think I just had my worst birthday ever a month ago as I was sick in bed, but I'm choosing to ignore it so I can pretend I'm not a year older!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you!!! We don't get our local paper partly for this reason.

Makes you wonder.

Anonymous said...

I think this is too funny! I can't vouch for my posts, but I agree that in marketing, there should be someone employed to proof-read all the print before an item gets sent out. Makes for some good chuckles sometimes...

Bekki said...

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Drives my hubby crazy, he cannot understand why I care so much. So funny!

His Girl said...

these are hysterical! geesh.