Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I'm not a clever title creator

Last night after dinner:

Me: Hilary, wouldn't you like to buy your lunch tomorrow, for the first day of schoool?

Michael: Why don't you buy your lunch every day? If you did, your mom wouldn't have to get up so early.


Hilary: But then who would make my breakfast?

Laughter.

Michael: I can't believe we just had this conversation.

Morning came way too early today, but later than expected. I awoke to Hilary's gentle nudge, "mom, what can I have for breakfast?" My alarm hadn't gone off. I'd been so careful to set it. The power has gone off 3 times in the past week. While the alarm was set correctly, the clock wasn't. Sigh. Not the best way to start a new school year. Since I'd only been up 15 minutes by the time she left for school, I was tempted to sneak back in bed. Mommy guilt wouldn't let me.

Is it me or was summer vacation way too short?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still summer vacating here. School won't begin until September 8th. :o)

~Tammy~ said...

Plenty of school days left to make breakfast!

Happy back-to-school, Hilary!

(Good luck dealing with the DNC!)

PJ said...

Summer vacation was waaaay too short!! She's lucky to have you! I taught my boys to pour milk for cereal VERY young!!

Melanie said...

LOL And, yes, summer vacation is way too short.

Anonymous said...

It depends on the day! Some days I felt like the day would never end, and other days just zoomed by.


So, did she have a good day?

Kellan said...

How funny! My kids still have another week before school starts and I am going to take advantage of every second.

I have your Lingerie post up for tomorrow over On The Upside - just letting you know. Thanks again for being Guest Blogger. Kellan

Forgetfulone said...

Hi there. I thought you'd like to know that I found you by your guest blog post at On the Flipside.

Summer vacation is waaaay too short! Teachers return August 18, and students return August 25. We went through the first week of June, so summer seems shorter than usual.

Kristin said...

Well, you know how I feel about this summer . . . and I am GLAD that we don't start our school until after Labor Day. I think school in August should be OUTLAWED!

(And don't feel bad about breakfast -- I never make it for the kids. Cereal and milk!)

Anonymous said...

That is a quick start to the new school year ;) Like Tammy says...many many days to make up for this one ;)

Anonymous said...

Summer vacation is way too short. Before Emily was born, I used to leave a bowl of cereal out on the table for each boy the night before and then put little cups of milk in the fridge so they could pour their own milk in it. Those days are over now. Now, Ethan is usually the first one up and he comes running in my room so early in the morning asking, "Mom! Can I play Wii???" Ugh!