Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Cheated

I feel cheated. Most summers I enjoy doing laundry. Short sleeves & sleeveless shirts, shorts instead of pants...the clothes are smaller, so less of them to wash. During winter, it is difficult to jam the many layers of clothing into the same amount of wash loads. Hoodies and sweat pants are the items I detest the most. I wait for summer to arrive when thick, heavy clothing disappears from the laundry baskets. The hampers overflow in the cold months. Summers allow them to air out. Come Fall, they are fresh and ready to be stuffed again. Except this summer.

For some reason, the people in this house can not agree on the perfect temperature. While one sweats in the sweltering 73 degrees, another wraps herself in a blanket-while wearing the dreaded hoodie. I've also had to wash the throw blankets several times this summer. Normally I put them away at the end of spring. What's with all of the clothes and blankets? We've had record heat here, people! Why are we wearing sweats and hoodies???? Oh yeah, I forgot. We installed air conditioning last year. A blessing & a curse?

9 comments:

Melanie said...

Love the new pic in your header! Did you take it?

Anonymous said...

I am one of those crazy people who keeps winter clothes in the drawers/closets during summer and vice versa. I was astounded when my friend told me she switches her clothing out during the seasons. I was like, "Oh, people actually do that?" ha ha ha....

We have not turned on our air this summer. We've had more humidity than I care for, and some sweltering heat, but we've survived. Since we are in a big house now, we are terrified of the electric bill so we said "forget it" to the A/C. Actually, it's been pretty pleasant in the house overall, with the windows open. And some days I don't even have to open the windows.

I'm still doing laundry though because this house was infested with bugs when we moved in----so everything that touches the floor gets washed! Ewww!

Anonymous said...

Since I wear shorts year round I appreciate when everyone else does too. It has been way to hot for the cold weather clothes to be donned, but we have had some cool breezes in the evening this past week and the throw blankets have had some use.

Hope you get a fall reprieve before the winter clothes are the norm all the time.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I am SO glad to hear that someone somewhere else has family members who will wear hoodies when it is August!

Anonymous said...

I detest hoodies. LOL

Mylinda said...

Oh, my gosh! That is so funny because I've had the same problem!! Sweats, jackets (hoodies), and throw blankets in the wash all summer long! We installed a/c last summer, too! lol Most of us are actually cold (well, cooler anyway), but we can't bring ourselves to turn the a/c up making it warmer inside. It's just too hot outside and we love the coolness inside! lol I guess I'm doomed, along with you, to wash blankets for many more summers to come!! :-)

PJ said...

Last night our thermometer said "62" degrees (outside)...which means cool in the house. I slept with the fan blowing directly on me. My long-suffering hubby slept wrapped up in a comforter!! Each to his own.

Kristin said...

I know how you feel. We always have to keep some "winter" clothes handy all summer long (esp. for camping.) Of course, this summer has been dismal and I feel like I JUST put the heavy stuff away and have to go dig it out again!

His Girl said...

wow, i never thought about the difference in laundry. i should be more appreciative!