Friday, November 14, 2008

One Week Later

Last Friday we celebrated my parents' 50th wedding anniversary.

I flew into town on Wednesday evening. Friday morning we met at Greg's home and began working feverishly. Greg cleaned and moved furniture. His wife, my sisters, and I decorated & cooked. As we worked, I couldn't help but notice how each one of us gave of our gifts and talents. The creativity & organization was truly amazing. I caught a glimpse of how God gifts His people and by working together we can do awesome things. Everything flowed smoothly and a great time was had by all.

Thank-you Mom & Dad for being the best parents ever. We've gleaned much from your guidance & wisdom in knowing when to speak truth to us and when to step back and give us room to learn from our mistakes.

Your love and generosity extends not only to family, but so many others.

Your faith and commitment have stood strong and set a firm foundation for your children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren & future generations.

Your spirit of adventure gives us the courage to journey into deeper waters.

Happy 50th Anniversary Mom & Dad!

I'd share the video I we gave to mom & dad, but it's 12 minutes long. Instead, here are a few photos from it:


November 8, 1958-Mom & Dad's Wedding
(Yes, they were teenagers, 18 & 19)


Mom & Dad 2007

And just for fun, I submit the following:


1975-Me & Dad, My Confirmation



Homecoming 1976, My date, Me, my brother Greg and his wife Kathleen



1976 Mom & I with their first grandbaby, Michael (& yes, those were my silver teeth years)



1978 Me, Dad, and the first grandchild, Michael (and the fancy van conversion dad bought as he neared his 40th birthday)


1989 Me holding Elisabeth, my mom holding Sarabeth the day we had her dedicated, Christina & Christopher


Mom, my sisters Carolyn & Laurie, Me Can you guess the year by the hair and big glasses? (Since I have curly hair, I wasn't sporting the perm look and didn't need glasses, lol.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have always been a cutie. Love your hair and your outfit in the last picture gives it away!!

How wonderful that you have parents that have been such a source of blessing and guidance to you throughout the years.

Happy Anniversary to them!!

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Your parents were one cute wedding couple! I see where you get those cute looks you have!

I love the pics...last picture is mid 80s?

And as for the thankfulness list, jump on in if you are so incllned.

Heth said...

I love the homecoming photo.

Kristin said...

What a beautiful tribute -- I hope my kids honor us like that someday. Isn't it interesting how much older teens looked back in the day?

Anyway, happy anniversary to them! 50 years! What a blessing -- and what a legacy.

PJ said...

Love the photos!!

Anonymous said...

~*~Happy 50th to Mom & Dad!~*~

I was beginning to sniffle a little as I read this post... Then I got a look at that homecoming picture! You all look like you've been told you've been sentenced to life in prison. BWAHAHA!

Big hair and big glasses? Has to be the 80s baby! ;o)

Melanie said...

Happy anniversary to your parents!