Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Bad Hair Day/Updated

Maybe he is more observant than I thought. Or maybe not. Michael was perusing my blog and the photos from yesterday's post. He noticed something "strange." So he asked me about it.

"When did your dad begin parting his hair on the other side?"

"What?" I had no idea what he was talking about.

He went on to point out that in the older photos his hair was parted on the left, but the newest one it is on the right.

Do men really care or notice these things? (I think I could come home with my hair blue and it would be awhile before he noticed.)

I surmised that in older pictures, taken with film, the image was possibly flipped. While in newer, digital photos, they were correctly oriented.

We studied more photos. Nope. Michael pointed out that in one photo Dad had a pen in his pocket. He assured me he had it on the left side of his shirt. I argued that my dad is left handed and maybe he put them in his right pocket. My detail-oriented husband noted that his shirt only had one pocket. Men's dress shirts often have only one pocket, I was informed. And that would be on the right. Who knew these things?

So we are waiting for my dad's response. Why would he begin parting his hair on the "wrong" side? As women, we do side parts, middle parts, no parts. Men do not change the side on which they part their hair. Not a man who goes to the barber shop. I've been told.

So Dad, which is it? My last guess is that occassionally the barber parts it incorrectly and cuts it that way. Dad then has to live with it until the next haircut. To me, that would be like having a bad hair day for like a month. Horrors! I would hate that.

I received this response from my dad:

I grew up with my hair being parted on the left side. I never questioned it, that is just the way it was. I don't know if my mother parted it that way because I was left handed and it would be easier or if the crown was more on the left. Anyway, years later after I quit parting my hair and just combed it straight back, I decided to start parting it again. I noticed it didn't seem to part so easily on the left side, but my hair seemed to naturally lay over to the left making it easier to part on the right. I started parting it on the right and have done so ever since. Being left handed, it would be easier to part on the left, but my hair doesn't seem to cooperate. Funny you should bring that up. It has been quite awhile now that I parted it on the right. Can't remember the last time I parted it on the left.

6 comments:

PJ said...

Interesting about the part in your Dad's hair. Surely the barber just didn't err!! That would indeed be a bad hair day!

Lisa said...

LOL! I love weird conversations like that. At least your dad has hair.

Heth said...

Wow. Quite the detective! Now I'm all curious as to why.

Anonymous said...

Your hubs is very observant!

Jay's hair doesn't have a part. He has a swirly on the back of his head though. :o)

Mylinda said...

I am amazed that your husband would notice such detail! Good eye! :-)

Kristin said...

LOL, funny that your DH would notice and your dad would explain! At least he has hair!