Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving Memories

Thanksgiving Memories
(Previously posted, but as I prepare for Thanksgiving, and pumpkin pies, this memory comes to mind.)

My first attempt to make an entire Thanksgiving meal on my own, and my inlaws were coming to visit. I had 2 small children, and I worried how I would get everything done. Preparing for houseguests was stressful. Cleaning our 3 bedroom home, picking up toys, the day to day activity of a 4 year old, compounded by a toddler that loved making messes...did I mention lots of cleaning? Add that to Thanksgiving with all of the trimmings, & I felt more than overwhelmed. I wanted so much to provide a comfortable, relaxed home for my inlaws to enjoy & to serve a delicious meal, eaten in the company of sweet, well-behaved grandchildren.

The day before Thanksgiving, our guests arrived the day. I stayed up late that night, wanting to get a start on the big day. After everyone had gone to bed, I baked the pumpkin pies. The next morning, I was exhausted, and didn't hear my children get up. How must that look to the grandparents? A mother who doesn't get up and have breakfast waiting for her children? I dressed quickly and went to the kitchen. There stood my little boy.

"Yum, yum! This is good Mommy."

Christopher was covered in orange goo. So was the chair he stood atop and the table. Both pies were missing most of the pumpkin. This was before digital cameras, but I doubt I would have grabbed the camera. This was not a Kodak moment. I started to cry.

Thankfully, I have the best inlaws in the world and should not have worried. In fact they probably cooked more of the dinner than I did. They were a huge help and very encouraging. I never felt the need to impress them again. Afterall, they'd had 5 kids and understood that little boys loved eating pumpkin pie. Somehow, when you are a grandparent you don't stress over those things.

Eighteen years later when I awoke to find another small boy eating the middles of my pumpkin pies, I grabbed my camera. Yum, yum! I love being a grandparent to Ethan.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this Joanne! I laughed out loud at the mental picture of Christopher standing there so innocently, snarfing down that pie and praising you for it. And then you topped it off with a picture of Ethan, LOVED it! I just got done making a pumpkin pie for my husband today (it's his birthday today and pumpkin pie is his favorite). I'm so glad my boys are finally at the age where they won't climb up and dig in...oh they used to!

Anonymous said...

and the pies were DELICIOUS :)

Jenni said...

LOL history repeats itself!! Too funny, not to mention adorable!

Kellan said...

Oh - those pictures are priceless - ADORABLE!!

Hope you guys have a wonderful Thanksgiving - Kellan

Kristin said...

Sometimes all you can do is grab the camera and laugh. (Though I understand the crying, too.) So cute and funny.