Friday, November 21, 2008

Thunk Thursday on Friday

How hard is it to say, "You're Welcome?" The phrase is traditionally said after the "thank-you" offering. So where does a "no problem" response fit in this equation? People, it doesn't.

I'm walking along. The woman passing through the door in front of me stops to hold it open. I turn and say, "thank-you." Flippantly, the phrase seems to roll off her lips, "no problem." I'm sorry. I didn't think it WAS a problem. Was it really that difficult of a task that you felt the need to let me know it wasn't really a problem? Next time I'll hold my own door, thank-you-very-much.

Is "you're welcome" more difficult to say than no problem? It's 3 syllables. It isn't as if "no problem" is quicker and easier to blurt out. Like I said, 3 syllables.

"You're welcome" implies that the person was glad to offer their service to you. To me, it's a simple way to say, "anytime you need the door held open, I'm happy to do it for you." It sounds kind, courteous.

The "no problem" response does not express this same friendly attitude. It comes off as, "I'm trying not be rude, so I'll answer "no problem," but truthfully my action to help you out IS an annoyance to me.

I phoned the doctor's office this morning. It took some doing to schedule an appointment. I thanked the receptionist for the extra effort she put towards working with me. Her response: "no problem." Grrr...this is my newest pet peeve.

The next time I hear someone squelch my thank-you with "no problem," I'm going to ask, "is it sometimes a problem?" Or maybe, "I'm sorry, is it often a problem for you to hold the door open?" Or what if I am rude back and tell the receptionist, "you're right, it wasn't a problem for you to set the appointment. It was your job."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I never thought of it that way. I have to admit, I usually say "No problem" or "You bet!" after someone says thank you. I'll be more careful next time. I just never thought of it that way, it's such a habit.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should stop reading so much into it. If you have such a strong need to control how others respond, perhaps you should pray a little more.