Thursday, December 04, 2008

Fifty Sounds Old

The year was 1979. We met through a friend, actually a guy I was dating. I was in high school, my boyfriend wasn't. He lived in a studio apartment that had been converted from an old hotel. Those rooms were tiny, smaller than dorm rooms. The beds doubled as couches.

On the top floor of this complex lived four guys in adjacent apartments. Actually, one of them lived on the other side of the pool, but it's easier to assume they all lived on the same floor. They might as well have, as they hung out together a lot. Being in such cramped quarters, I got to know these guys quite well. None of them were dating at the time.

One of them I liked more than the rest. Larry had a great sense of humor. He was just finishing college, was ambitious and seemed like an all-around good guy. We got along well so I wasn't surprised when one day he asked me if I had a sister. "As a matter of fact, I do. Would you like to meet her?"

On November 28th, Larry and my sister celebrated their 28th anniversary. Today is Larry's 50th birthday. So to Larry, Happy 5oth Birthday! Thank-you for being a wonderful husband to my sister and for the years of joy you have given her. You are a blessing to our entire family.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Fifty sounds less and less old I've noticed.

Anonymous said...

Downright youthful, I'd say.

Truth said...

LOL, yes Lisa, I have to agree with you. And gosh, I wonder who could have thought 50 was youthful??? Probably someone about to turn 55.

Kellan said...

He's very handsome! Happy Birthday, Larry - hope it was wonderful!

Take care - Kellan

Kristin said...

Happy birthday! You have a nice looking BIL there. And, yes, 50 -- wow, I can't think about it. I think it's harder to face than 40. Well, like they say, it's better than the alternative!

Anonymous said...

That is such a sweet story!

Happy Birthday to your BIL.

PJ said...

Aaaw Sweet!!